What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Added a dedicated aera 660 in back seat of RV-8 with G3X Touch

jliltd

Well Known Member
The new wifi support on the aera 660 gave me confidence in Garmin's supporting this product very well and into the future. Enough so that I just added a aera 660 and a permanent bare data cable dock to the rear cockpit of my RV-8. The aera 660 is hardwired to a GDL-52 (portable with hardwire cable) located behind the front panel G3X Touch GDU 460 10" screen. The length of the bare wire cable was exactly right and now the back seater has their aera 660 giving them their own display with navigation, ADS-B weather and traffic and SXM weather and music control along with backup attitude display provided by the GDL-52. All at their fingertips. And since both the G3X Touch and aera 660 are hardwired to the GDL-52 via each of the two RS232 channels, all the Bluetooth connections of each are completely free for more Bluetooth devices like iPads, tablets or smart phones. This dedicated aera 660 set up has resulted in the passenger being actively involved in flight rather than sitting there like baggage staring at the back of the pilot's head hating them. This new change has received rave reviews from passengers and pilots alike.

Jim

Last edited:
I will try to take some photos. But here is more description...

My G3X Touch system has the non-SXM GDU 460. Originally a GDL-39R was added for ADS-B in for the G3X. At that time a dedicated ADS-B "in" antenna (transponder type) was installed on the aft fuselage belly for the GDL-39R. After the recent release of the new GDL-52 ADS-B/SXM I saw it as a natural replacement for the GDL-39R adding SXM weather & music along with improved technology. Instead of going with the GDL-52R (which would have been a super easy plug and play) I opted for the portable version GDL-52 for a few reasons. First and foremost reason is that I own and operate multiple aircraft (both EAB and type certificated) and only needed to invest in one device that I can quickly and easily move between multiple aircraft while only requiring a single SXM subscription. I only need install a separate GDL-52 quick release base and GA 25 SXM antenna in each aircraft. The next reason is because the portable version has built-in attitude AHRS which the "R" models don't. Additionally the portable units have a built-in backup battery.

As an aside, I also purchased a new GDL-50 ADS-B only reciever as a spare to dock into any of the airplanes that I fly locally in good weather or when a friend flies one at the same time I am flying a different one.

One great feature of combining a GDL-52 (or any GDL 3x/R or 5x/R model for that matter) with a Garmin portable or G3X is that no GPS antenna is needed since the Garmin navigator will send position information to the GDL. That makes for one less antenna needing a view of the sky.

So here is what I used to convert to the GDL-52 and add the aera 660 to the rear seat position:

One Garmin GDL/G3X bare wire data cable
One Garmin aera 660 bare wire data cable/dock
One 1/8" stereo patch cable (1/8" jack on one end and bare wires on the other end)
RAM mount standard 1" ball arm
RAM mount 1" diamond base mount
RAM mount U-bolt clamp mount with 1" ball
One BNC female to MCX coax cable adapter
One Garmim GA 25 MCX SXM antenna
3 high-density male connector pins for SXM music into the GMA 240 audio panel srereo music "in" - - used Daniels AFM8 crimper with K-42 (male pin) positioner
Red/white pin inserter/extractor to remove original GDL-39 connector

I removed the GDL-39R from it's tray and extracted the pins from it's dsub connector. I mounted the GDL-52 base mount in the same location where the GDL-39R had been. I then mounted the aera 660 bare wire cable base mount to the RAM 1" diamond mount with hardware. I mounted the RAM c-clamp mount to the upper right diagonal tube on the back of the pilot's seat back roll bar and placed the aera 660 so as not to interfere with the passenger entry and egress and keeping it in good view and control of the passenger. I routed the bare wire cable end forward to behind the panel. This part highly depends upon the specific aircraft interior so YMMV. I soldered the appropriate bare wire cable ends together along with power and ground behind the panel. Special attention was paid to use the aera 660 serial 1 to the GDL-52 serial #2 channel and the GDU 460 to the GDL-52 serial #1 channel.
I placed the Garmin GA 25 SXM antenna on the glareshield with velcro an routed its cable down to the GDL-52.
I then took the 1/8" audio patch cable and pinned it into the GMA audio panel music using the Daniels AFM8 crimpers. The original GDL BNC antenna connector was attached to the BNC/MCX conversion pigtail. Then the MCX connector was installed into the forward antenna connector on the unit. The GDL bare wire serial connector was snapped into the GDL-52 along with the 1/8" stereo patch cable plug. The GDL, GDU and aera serial port settings were set to "CONNEXT 57600 BAUD".

Woolah.

Jim

Last edited:
Let's try photos again....

LMx3CYX.jpg

FjIIWwY.jpg

ZTaAOUW.jpg

Jim

Back