What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airworthiness Inspection

sahrens

Well Known Member
In August of 2006 I order the preview plans, then the tail kit. It has been a very long haul to get to this point. Some of that time was taken by the military who seemed to want me flying overseas, but mostly I am just a slow builder.

Anyway today the DAR came by and seemed to think my aircraft is airworthy, on to test flight.

jaaq9t.jpg

Congrats

No hurry and go fly before somebody else uses up all the lifties out there.

Congrats !!

Just got the same on Dec 7. Now working all the details for 1st flight readiness, including the pilot!:eek:

So Exciting!!

I am excited for you, now the payback for all those hours.
I hope and pray the same is in my future!
Larry

Congratulations!

And thank you for documenting your build. I?ve referenced your log many times as my build progresses. Best wishes for Phase I and beyond.

Just got the same on Dec 7. Now working all the details for 1st flight readiness, including the pilot!:eek:

Congratulations Bill. I'm sure you will test fly before me. I am headed out for two weeks, so mine won't fly until after the first of the year.

When get DAR

When in the build process should I get the DAR out? Will they come more than once? Will I have to disassembly stuff if they can't see enough? Does avionics have to be functioning?

Thanks for a little on site on when to engage the DAR.

When in the build process should I get the DAR out? Will they come more than once? Will I have to disassembly stuff if they can't see enough? Does avionics have to be functioning?

Thanks for a little on site on when to engage the DAR.

I used the local FAA FSDO office for the first two RVs, and will again for the current project.

They come out when the airplane is ready for flight. A call to them a couple of months ahead of time is needed to schedule and more importantly get a feed from them on what they want. While they look at the plane, they seem most interested in photos showing you built it and the necessary paperwork. They spend a lot of time on the paperwork.

Do not rely on FSDO or DAR to find anything wrong. A better way to do that is to hand 4 or 5 RV builders a clipboard, flashlight and inspection mirror and let them go over your plane with a fine tooth comb. You will get a lot of stuff that is more opinion than anything else so be prepared to go through and decide what correcive action is needed, if any. Pizza and beer afterward is incentive for participation.

Carl

Find a DAR who knows RV's and start the process several months in advance. 90% of the process is paperwork. Builders logs are nice, but they never looked at mine ( RV6 & RV7).
Find out exactly what placards and markings they require, as they will take lots of photos. It has become a CYA process for them, as it should be. Also it is nice if you can find someone who will be liberal and practical with your flight test area. 25 miles is ridiculous, impractical and unsafe as far as I am concerned, especially for a 200 mph aircraft! Once the DAR has all your paperwork in hand, the inspection is a non-event. Put it back together and just GO FLY!

The local FSDO said they would not come and inspect the airplane. I had to work through a local DAR. There were only two.

I completely agree with the statements about finding a few RV builders that were willing to look through the airplane several times. We found several items that probably would not have been found by the DAR.

Last edited:
Back