What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any filler cracks in emp tips?

GuppyBob

Question...I'm contemplating filling the seams between the emp fiberglass tips and associated skins with west systems epoxy/microballoons and then fiberglass tape over that and smoothed with a finish coat of Rage Gold or Superfil. ANYONE out there done something similar and had (or not had) cracks or delamination form in these areas over time/operations??? ANY advice, ideas, or experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

I filled over mine and used a method that Rosie advised me on. I filled the gap and pop rivet heads and then used a strip of 1.45 oz "deck cloth" (very thin, lightweight glass cloth from Spruce) over the joint. Feather filled that out. Worked great, no cracking or problems in 889 hours and counting. There is, however, one spot (on the bottom, fortunately) where the gap made itself evident...and that's where I inadvertently sanded through the very thin glass. If you're careful not to sand through it, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Thanks Dan...did you use the west system epoxy with microballoons or one of their brand fillers like the 405/407 product?

Yep, for the initial filling (under the glass) I used West System 105/205 with micro to form a paste. On top of the glass I did the same for the first few batches, but ended up doing final feathering-out with Rage Gold.

Back