VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-16-2018, 10:10 PM

Default DC and East Tennessee Trip

So I bid my vacation a year in advance to try and catch the Petit Jean weekend, I missed it by one weekend this year. Oh well, I'm still loading the airplane and taking my oldest daughter Hope flying. I"m kinda a sucker for trips in the RV with my family.

I was planning on a trip out west, but with TS Sergio moisture working it's way through the southwest I shifted my focus east. After a look at the long range weather and a couple last minute calls, emails and texts I made a "flexible" plan for a trip to DC and East Tennessee.

Saturday morning I woke to the alarm, peeked outside then pulled current METARs/TAFs and went back to bed. I'm not mixing IFR with darkness and I got a little more sleep. I settled for 45 minutes after sunrise and some improvement in the ceilings/Vis. The layer was less than 300' thick, passed on a PIREP and climbed Eastward.

I planned a 4+15 leg at FL190 and 60+ tailwinds, issues with my O2 had me change to 110 and a fuel stop at KBFR in Indiana.

4.7 hours flight time from home base by Kc we landed at KHWY just after lunchtime. We grabbed a courtesy car and headed through the Virginia country side to the FAA Command Center where my Friend and co-worker Jess was expecting us. Jess gave us a in depth tour of the command center, the home of Traffic Management Initiatives-Weather ReRoutes-Ground Delay Programs and general headquarters of "The Big Picture." Acronyms were used liberally and we had a great tour!

On the way to the Command Center we passed this sign and it peaked our interest but it was only 2:00....

On the way back to the airport we stopped at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church to see what the "Crabs to Go" was all about. We walked into the parish center and were greeted by a couple parishioners and boxes of freshly steamed crabs. Being from Kansas Hope and I know our way around red meat, but our seafood experience is pretty limited. The Parishioners were great and after a couple minutes of dual instruction we were signed off and sent away with half a dozen crabs and a miniature mallet. Luckily there was a picnic table at the airport and we had a seafood experience while watching the airplanes. We tore those crabs up!

Just happened to run into another VAF'r BUD K from back home while we were paying for fuel, small world!

Last edited by crabandy : 10-17-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:08 PM

I recently took the DC SFRA course, but still felt more comfortable flying IFR into the SFRA. My final destination was W00, Freeway airport.

I filed KHWY..BRV..OTT..OTT020010..W00
(OTT020010 was a fix I "wagged' because there wasn't a handy intersection available to stay east of the FRZ) and called the Potomac Apch clearance delivery phone number in the AFD. I filed around the restricted areas and the FRZ.

I used the Potomac Clearance Delivery phone number listed in the AFD for KHWY, the direct line to Potomac worked great for obtaining/cancelling a clearance. I was cleared to W00 via "enter controlled airspace" (i.e. comply with any non standard Departure Procedures) direct CSN, then as filed. I obtained the IFR release with my clearance and was soon airborne direct CSN. Shortly later I was given direct BRV and then vectors all the way into W00. Over Quantico

A distant Andrew's off the left wing.

I have to agree with the others' assessment of W00 posted here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...light=airports

We had a paved tie down spot amid the tall grass and looked twice before we walked across the runway to the FBO.

I'm not sure I could keep it on the taxiway with the tail dragger.....

$10/day to park the RV was reasonable, I fumbled through the UBER app and had a ride to the Metro....

Last edited by crabandy : 10-17-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:03 AM

Default Brings back memories

Our middle son is a Controller at KCAE and your post takes me back to when he worked at the Vint Hill facility. Classy place. We used KHWY for a good while, eventually working the SFRA and using KHEF Manassas. They lived in Gainesville, close enough for him to bike to work. Great pics.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:15 AM

Yes I recognized a lot of that airspace. KHWY was home base for years and used to get my Mooney serviced at Freeway. Filing IFR makes the SFRA a nobrainer but I still long for the old days when you coukd get VFR flight following vectors flying Warrenton to Freeway direct DCA direct. Great view of the mall at maybe 3000 while arrivals and departures at Reagan flow in under you.
KEZF
Old 10-17-2018, 08:14 AM

Thumbs up

I remember that TRACON building. Was on a tour with a group of GA pilots several years ago. Learned a ton about the other side of the radio.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:18 AM

Default Daddy/Daughter Trip!

Love this! have a great trip!

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2050+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 10-17-2018, 04:00 PM

After about a 15 minute Uber ride we made it to the Metro, took another 15 minutes to figure out the metro cards and turnstiles.......We stuck out like sore thumbs......

We managed to find our Hotel between Farragutt and Foggy Bottom, drop off our backpacks and do some exploring on the way to and from dinner.

The Eisenhower Executive Office Center.

Both sides of the White House.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:37 PM

We woke up and hit the streets, I was searching for a coffee shop on the way to the Metro. I ordered a cup and asked Hope if she wanted a Hot Chocolate. She wanted to try a Cappuccino........what happened to my kiddo that loves hot chocolate and thinks coffee is gross? Guess who now really likes Cappuccino...

Seemed to have some construction going on at the Washington Monument.

Our first Museum was the Holocaust memorial, Very sobering and Very good.

In the spirit of vacation and fun we were going to try all new to us food and places to eat. A quick google search turned up Luke's Seafood as a likely spot for a good Lobster Roll, we split a shrimp roll for dessert.

Last edited by crabandy : 10-17-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:50 PM

After lunch was the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, we chose it because of all of the animals it contained.

We were most caught off guard with the Geology, Gems and Minerals exhibit. It was fantastic.

Capital Hill Building while walking between museums.

Of course we had to peek into the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

I liked the navigation section, I waited in line with the kids and used a Sextant for the first time......it was cool. I wonder how long until they put my panel in this display....

Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 PM

Next was the National Gallery of Art.

We took a small break at the Hotel and went to the evening service at the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle. The architecture and art throughout were pretty amazing, the music from the choir was worthy of an admission price. JFK's funeral was held at this Cathedral in 1963.

Hope wanted to eat in and apparently has never had Dominos before, after all of the days walking I didn't mind taking it easy.