- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-16-2019, 11:46 PM

Default Just curious what the others were

Quote:
Originally Posted by jartlip View Post
The first RV4 I owned weighed in at 1,080 pounds with an O-360 and Hartzell prop. And it was bare bones. And it went like snot. Of the three (3) RV's I've owned, it was my favorite.

Don't sweat the empty weight.
Iíve thought about converting to a C/S prop on my -4 but Axelís comments about the changes in how the airplane feels confirms why I am reluctant to do it.

What were the other 2 RVs that you use for comparison?

Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:55 AM

Just a thought on control system feel. CG was a bigger factor than weight on my RV6. We had a relatively heavy six but the control response was very light. It was so light that despite being in limits we decided to move the CG forward. This may a big difference in the perceived feel of the aircraft. The airplane seemed heavier overall but the trade off in a heavier feel in pitch was much better formation flight and landing characteristics.
G
Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 AM

Bringing back the thread drift. Will have more on flying qualities soon. Hope to fly this weekend. I will be evaluating different cgs also.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
Hans, I came out at 1,013lb and CG of 69.9 inches. I have not flown much but it does not fell as maneuverable. I know you are big into light and simple. Me too. Not sure this was the right thing to do yet. Will report out once I get some data.
I'm sure the majority of the difference you are feeling is due to the CG. That is a huge weight increase at the very front. So static long stab will go way up, force per G as well. That corresponds to what you are describing, especially the flare. Just get the wife in the back and it will feel like it used to. Or make a lead tailwheel.