Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-31-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Tail heavy.

Hi guys, happy new year.
I have recently purchased a very well built but rather "rotund" Rv4. It is a rather "vanilla", wooden prop, 150hp basic aircraft. After doing the w & b it has come in at a rather "portly" 1019 lbs. This seems pretty heavy for a pretty basic aircraft but I can't really figure where all the weight is.
My biggest concern is that it is carrying about 66lbs on the tailwheel which is very limiting as to rear passenger weight.
My question is what is a relatively normal weight on the rear wheel. I am aware that it will vary quite a bit from plane to plane, but is there a ballpark figure?
I have inspected the rear end for ballast etc. but apart from a strobe lamp everything is pretty basic. The aircraft has a pretty nice paint job, but wouldn't that add weight proportionally?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 PM

Default My RV4 numbers

Ew 975
Tailwheel 60lbs

Very light prop
Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Grylls View Post
The aircraft has a pretty nice paint job, but wouldn't that add weight proportionally?
This doesn't count as help (as in help correcting the issue), but think about where the CG is on the airplane. Let's say it is roughly at the main wing spar. Now, consider the location of the majority of the airplane's surface area in comparison to the main spar. 2/3 of the wing is aft of the main spar, 2/3 of the fuselage is aft of the main spar, and all of the empennage is aft (far aft) of the main spar.

Where I'm going is that paint's weight is disproportionately located aft of the airplane's CG, so a heavy paint job will probably result in an aft CG.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 12-31-2018, 09:42 PM

Ok I have to ask. That 66lb number is with the tail up in the air right? Not in the three point attitude?
2018 dues paid.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJordan View Post
Ok I have to ask. That 66lb number is with the tail up in the air right? Not in the three point attitude?
The figure was measured in flight position.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
This doesn't count as help (as in help correcting the issue), but think about where the CG is on the airplane. Let's say it is roughly at the main wing spar. Now, consider the location of the majority of the airplane's surface area in comparison to the main spar. 2/3 of the wing is aft of the main spar, 2/3 of the fuselage is aft of the main spar, and all of the empennage is aft (far aft) of the main spar.

Where I'm going is that paint's weight is disproportionately located aft of the airplane's CG, so a heavy paint job will probably result in an aft CG.
Thanks Kyle, that makes sense to me.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:11 AM

Default Add lightness to the tail

G’day Peter, you can add weight up front or you can remove weight from the back.

A quick and relatively easy way to remove one pound from the back of your bird is to replace your steel tailwheel spring with a Sky Designs titanium tailwheel spring. Go to: https://www.skydesigns.aero/titanium-tailspring

Given that the only item further aft than the tailwheel spring is the tailwheel itself, it is the second-most effective way to move your CG forward.

BTW: You’ll want to keep your old steel tailspring as it can be used for self-defense in case of a zombie apocalypse. 😉
Old 01-01-2019, 01:03 PM

My 1st (purchased) -4 weighed 930 lbs. The one I'm currently flying (also purchased) weighs 910 lbs. 1019 lbs for a wood prop 320 is pretty bad, if it's empty weight (was there fuel in the tanks?). With full fuel, there's not room for a normal sized pilot & still be below acro gross weight.

You didn't mention installed equipment or interior (insulation, carpet, seat cushion material, etc).

Charlie
Old 01-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Default Weight a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Grylls View Post
Hi guys, happy new year.
My question is what is a relatively normal weight on the rear wheel. I am aware that it will vary quite a bit from plane to plane, but is there a ballpark figure?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
G'Day Pete,
My Sterba Wood Prop equipped RV4 weighed 925lbs empty the day of it's test flight. For it and many others I have inspected over the years I use 50lbs in level flight attitude on the tail-wheel as a good ballpark number for CG ballpark calculations.
There are many ways to help shift the CG on a wood propped Four and reduce weight. Use these suggestions to search for and evaluate your own 4.

1. Odyssey Battery (vice certified aircraft battery) mounted as far forward as possible. I mounted mine on the "shelf" forward of the firewall. R&R of your 26lb aircraft battery to an Odyssey or Lithium will save up to 15 lbs. If it's mounted in the baggage compartment, that will weigh heavily on the TW.
2. Radios, panel, unnecessary items. If you have old radios, power supplies, instruments, round dials, they all add up. Make a list of the heavier ones and look at digital (MGL) or even removal of the unneeded ones.
3. Insulation. Cockpit soundproofing, insulation, thick foam seat cushions add weight. My Four had minimum frills inside and NASA foam seats with light upholstery.
4. Heavy weight Starter/Alt and Mags. A full size Prestolite Starter and certified aircraft alternator weigh nearly twice that of a lightweight version. Bendix Mags weigh twice that of a P-Mag or most Electronic ignitions. There are many vendors out there and you might be able to sell your old ones online.
5. Prop extension. If you remove the heavier starter you can offset the less nose weight by going with a steel prop extension from Saber Mfg.

These are just a few "tricks" you can apply, email me anytime offline and we can start working the issues.
Fair Dinkum...

Smokey
smokyray@rocketmail.com

Last edited by smokyray : 01-01-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Designs View Post
G’day Peter, you can add weight up front or you can remove weight from the back.

A quick and relatively easy way to remove one pound from the back of your bird is to replace your steel tailwheel spring with a Sky Designs titanium tailwheel spring. Go to: https://www.skydesigns.aero/titanium-tailspring

Given that the only item further aft than the tailwheel spring is the tailwheel itself, it is the second-most effective way to move your CG forward.

BTW: You’ll want to keep your old steel tailspring as it can be used for self-defense in case of a zombie apocalypse. 😉
You guys are really from the future? Copyright 2023

Finn