What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Saddleback in SoCal

rightrudder

Well Known Member
I wanted to go to Sedona today, but far too much turbulence and gusty conditions at the destination. So I did my normal lunch run to French Valley, but this time via the coastal side of Saddleback, two peaks at about 5500' that form a backdrop for South Orange County. I wish the marine layer had come all the way to the mountains...would have looked cooler.

Climb-out from French Valley was awesome. Cooler temps (mid 80s) allowed for a really aggressive climb...1900 fpm with me and about a half load of fuel aboard! :) Fun! The performance of our planes makes it so easy to climb and pop over Class C airspace. If I had gone the low route, it would have been a lot bumpier.

Not on the video, but I went over March AFB on the way back and saw a couple of B-52s on the ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-aq48u7L-U

Doug,

We are talking about heading back to Sedona in the next couple of months. Let me know when you want to head out there and we might just meet you.

BTW, when are you heading up this way??

Hey Joel...Soon! Maybe in November sometime? I'll give you a call in a couple weeks to coordinate. Or maybe if weather cooperates, we can meet in Sedona. Just way too much cloud layer/mist clinging to the mountains this morning to get underway at a decent hour.

Marc, I often see hang gliders/powered parachutes over Elsinore, usually at about 4500 feet. I've ridden a bunch of those ridge trails with some friends on dual-sport motorcycles.

I wanted to go to Sedona today, but far too much turbulence and gusty conditions at the destination. So I did my normal lunch run to French Valley, but this time via the coastal side of Saddleback, two peaks at about 5500' that form a backdrop for South Orange County. I wish the marine layer had come all the way to the mountains...would have looked cooler.

Climb-out from French Valley was awesome. Cooler temps (mid 80s) allowed for a really aggressive climb...1900 fpm with me and about a half load of fuel aboard! :) Fun! The performance of our planes makes it so easy to climb and pop over Class C airspace. If I had gone the low route, it would have been a lot bumpier.

Not on the video, but I went over March AFB on the way back and saw a couple of B-52s on the ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-aq48u7L-U

We lived in Laguna Hills from 1979-91, then Dana Point until '99. Hangar wait list at SNA was seven years, purchased a port-a-port at French Valley then later got a hangar at Carlsbad. Used to drive Ortega highway to get to French Valley!:eek:

Back