What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-Mag Wire Harness Starting Point

John Tierney

Well Known Member
Sponsor
This may be a general question for all FWF wiring. Is it easier to start wiring from the P-mag to the Panel, or from the Panel to the P-mag?

I'm running dual P-mags, with switch breakers and a traditional key switch (please don't debate that). Just looking to save some rework or wasted wire/connectors.

Also, P-mag says the wires do not need to be shielded. Has anyone had problems with unshielded P-mag wires?

There are only three wires that need to go from panel to P-MAG, power, P-Lead and TAC signal. My power and TAC are unshielded wire and the only reason I have a shielded wire for the p-lead is that I had used that for my SLICK which required a shielded wire. With this setup, I do not have any noise from the ignition.
If you are going to be pro-active, you might want to run two more strand of wire for Rx and Tx if you ever decide to install a EIC which also does not need to be shielded.

I've done a few of these now - and typically start at the pMag and go to the panel as this allows for easier wire bundleling forward of the firewall.

No need for shielded wire. Follow the install instructions and you will be fine.

Don't forget to add a DPDT toggle switch on the panel (one switch to control both pMags) to select between the 34 degree and 39 degree max advance. Start flying with 34 max and after you are fully familiar with how the engine runs (temps and such), try the 39 degree advance.

Carl

Back