What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tricks for plugging an instrument panel slot?

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I'm going to convert to ADS-B soon so I will be removing my panel mounted Zaon MRX. I have cut a slot that is about 1/2" x 2 1/2" to accomodate it that I need to plug. Does anybody have any slick ideas regarding plugging the hole? I'm thinking of just riveting a small plate overtop of the hole.

Thanks.

Panel Gaps

I've used a no-kidding Coke can.

1. Open can, drink;
2. Rinse, cut oversize;
3. Paint to match existing panel. As it dries, drink another soda... just in case.
4. Drill to match mounting holes. Install from rear.

No one noticed the "blank plate"...

Sounds like it is the perfect size for labeling with something like:

Please Deposit Donations Here

Get creative, make a "panic button" and install it in the space. Make your passengers ask...

Or maybe a "chemtrail pump" switch.... :D

Using a bit of patience I have made many filler plugs over the years that fit so tight that there is zero edge gap. Once you have the filler fabricated you can make a doubler plate for the back side and use epoxy to bond the filler and doubler in. You can even use a bit of epoxy or body filler on the panel to fair in the transition and paint it to match and it will disappear.

While doubtful, if you have the original plate....

Make a new blank the correct size, glue it to a backing plate, and use the existing screw holes. It will look nicer flush IMHO.

Back