What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

East Coast aerobatic training

j-red

Well Known Member
I would love to grow in my ability to have fun in the RV. Does anyone know of where I could get some quality aerobatic training in the region (Delmarva, Jersey, PA)? I have a 6a, and understand that it probably doesn't have a high enough aerobatic gross weight to be used for this training. Someone who had a -7 would be great, but even a school with a rental decathalon would be better than nothing.

Thanks.

Aerobatic Training

One of the best, Jim Mancini, is based at VAY in South Jersey. He's a career heavy pilot, B-52 pilot, and all around good guy. He instructs in his own Decathalon and in fact is instructing a fellow with an RV8.
If you call the airport, they can furnish contact info as I don't have it here at home.

Last edited:
Jon,

You could try www.dcaerobatics.com Adam Cope has a good reputation, afaik. Plus, Decathlons are fun!

Also, with two adult males & chutes, it's tough to keep most RV-7's in the Aerobatic Category.

Best regards,

Merrill

I don't have an answer to your original question but wanted to point out a couple of other things which might interest you.

Many IAC chapters have practice days. Now to fly you need to be a member and know enough that you can safely fly alone (or bring your own safety pilot) but they do provide ground coaching to get you better which is very valuable. So depending on your background that might not be the first thing you might want to do but something to keep in mind as you progress. I am a member of IAC chapter 58 which practices at Keller Brothers in PA (08N) a couple of times a year.

As you might know there are also contests in your region. This weekend there is the Mason-Dixon Clash in VA (I am actually writing from there..), in May you have a contest in Wildwood/CapeMay just across from you and in the summer you have one at VAY (I met Jim Mancini there this year and he did leave a great impression! One of his students was competing in his Decathlon.). There are a couple more. Even if you are not interested in flying contest right now your might want to stop by one just to chat with people and see what it is all about. By the way 2 years ago I told people I would never fly contests but I guess I got hooked now .... .

Last if you just want to chat about acro one of those days I am based at Sky Manor (N40). Always happy to meet talking acro there (good restaurant) or somewhere else in the region.

Send me an email: [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Oliver

Back