What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Make your own ADS-B ground station

I'm in a low-coverage area and requested the equipment to do that years ago. All I got back was, "There's a long waiting list". So don't hold your breath...

Agree there is a long waiting list but you can build your own in an hour or two with around $100 worth of parts from Amazon. Fun project and they give you a premium account after you start uploading data.

Agree there is a long waiting list but you can build your own in an hour or two with around $100 worth of parts from Amazon. Fun project and they give you a premium account after you start uploading data.

It's a pretty common DIY project consisting of a Raspberry Pi kit ($50), an SDR ($15) and an antenna (free to $45). The antenna is very easy to make and is a fun little DIY project in its own right.

FYI: It's the same hardware as used for the Stratux DIY ADSB-IN solution.

Last edited:
Or you can go android, buy the SDR for $20, and plug it in the USB OTG port on the device. Add Avare (free) and Avare ADSB Receiver Pro (I think it was about $3), and you're done.

Charlie

978?

Most people who set up ADS-B ground stations feeding Flightaware and the other aggregators just send 1090 returns. How many are sending 978?

Back