What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Failures in Tail Feathers????

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerfTech

Well Known Member
....In light of some recent events and the incident in Canada a couple of years ago involving tail feathers, I am becoming somewhat paranoid. After viewing a thread showing some cracks or flaws in the front vertical spar mountings on two airplanes. We decided to make a mod that would eliminate this being a potential problem as I am sure most on this forum are aware of. My greatest fear in flying is a major control surface failure, an in flight fire or a midair collision. Many of you ordered this product from us as a little extra insurance. As people began to check their aircraft or they went to install this item, we began to receive e-mail stating that they had found cracks in their vertical spar attach plate. That would suggest that this is not just a couple of isolated incidents. I would like to see some photos of these mounting plates on the aircraft that experienced the major or complete tail failures, resulting in total destruction. Possibly we could determine how and where they failed. If anyone has this, or access to some, please let us know, as we would be extremely interested.
... We are currently looking at producing a tool or set of tools to easily access and check the torque on the rudder and elevator mountings (suggestion from a fellow forum member). We hope to have an offering of this tool soon. Anyone with an idea for this type of product, an improved part or mod that may increase safety or piece of mind for all of us, please, give us a call or drop us an e-mail. I promise if at all feasible, we will do our best to evaluate and produce your ideas. Thanks, Allan...:D

Allan,

Thanks for posting. I will be starting the fuse build soon and my check will be in the mail!

Thanks

Allen,
Thanks for caring enough to offer this for ALL of us.
I have several of your products and like each one as they have improved or lessened maintenance for me. The next one may be a safety improvement.
I share your comments about your greatest fears, and they are what keep me looking for problems before they become issues. I look forward to any improvements.

CS jamb nut wrench

I agree, this "issue" is disconcerting and the outcome of the investigation will be very interesting.

I would suggest a box end style wrench with a slot that slides over the rodend shank and with the end bent enough that the box end sets flush to the jamb nut and tool shaft will clear the skin to allow it to turn.

RV-8

Hi Allan,

I'm at the fuse stage and will be mounting my tail feathers in the near future. Just curious, anything coming for the -8? I see the mod for the -7 and -9. I'm guessing the mod for the -7 will fit the -8?

Thanks

Don

Vertical Spar Cracks ??

Allan, I'm not sure I have seen any post about cracks in the Vertical Spar Attach plate. Lots of loose jam nuts and a single crack in the elevator spar that goes between rivet holes with a doubler plate behind it. ( also with some evidence of previous potential weather damage)

Would be interested in seeing a picture of any cracks in the vert spar attach plates if you have them. In particular the front attach plate ??

Also not aware of any incidents with in flight failure where the aircraft was known to be operating in any normal flight range. Where would that post be ?

Thanks Bill

Last edited:
Caution: Conclusions being jumped.

Pole vaulted may be a more appropriate statement.

Sorry for probably crossing the line (and this will probably get deleted by a moderator) but advertiser or not, this sounds far to much like scare tactic marketing to me.

The accident in Canada is well investigated and documented. The cause had nothing to do with the reinforcement part being promoted here.

The most recent accident is in early stages of an investigation. Making an assumption that this part would/might have prevented it is totally out of line.

Sorry for probably crossing the line (and this will probably get deleted by a moderator) but advertiser or not, this sounds far to much like scare tactic marketing to me.

The accident in Canada is well investigated and documented. The cause had nothing to do with the reinforcement part being promoted here.

The most recent accident is in early stages of an investigation. Making an assumption that this part would/might have prevented it is totally out of line.

Not only does this moderator not have any intention of deleting Scott's post, I totally agree with it.

I suspect nearly any part of the airframe can be damaged if not constructed properly/carefully as noted in several threads recently. This does not constitute a design flaw, however.

Last edited:
Sorry for probably crossing the line (and this will probably get deleted by a moderator)

Hopefully not, it needed to be said.

I think Allan has some great ideas, but I'd be really cautious about reinforcing a piece of primary structure without any analysis of why the part is cracking in the first place. Making a piece of structure stiffer than it was originally designed might fix one problem - if it even exists - but could cause problems elsewhere.

Last edited:
Alan is telling us about "emails" reporting cracks. Seems this forum would have been all over it. Maybe the moderators have a cover up going. We'll call it "Tailgate".

Alan is telling us about "emails" reporting cracks. Seems this forum would have been all over it. Maybe the moderators have a cover up going. We'll call it "Tailgate".

Now that was TOO Funny! :eek: Wonder how many of the tail cracked airplanes are Sliders vs Tip-up? Hang in there Alan. :D

Last edited:
Caution: Conclusions being jumped.

Agreed. Still, you have to admit it's a fun game.

tumblr_lon5josiZy1qzmr3jo1_500.jpg

In the next few years as more and more of Vans aircraft get airborne there will be more and more areas that fail for some reason or another. If we get hyper paranoid over all of these failures and beef them up with dubious parts the plane will be so heavy that it will never leave the ground thus solving all inflight failures. I believe that if the plane is built to Vans specifications and has suffered no damage on the ground or inflight by over stressing these planes are well designed and safe as they are.

Last edited:
From the Canadian accident, we can take lessons about observing Vne, Va, balancing of control surfaces and finally that rolling G limits can be substantially lower than straight pulls on some aircraft.

I doubt if there is a systemic problem with RV tails when being flown within the defined envelope and being properly constructed or there would be a lot more failures. Many RVs are flown pretty hard.

Beating on an airplane continuously near, at or over the limits certainly hastens fatigue which is why aircraft used regularly for aerobatics are inspected (or should be) more frequently and in a more detailed way (ask Sean Tucker).

This is just food for thought.

We should wait for the full conclusions of the investigation. In the meantime, it does no harm for anyone concerned to thoroughly inspect these areas.

... It never ceases to amaze how a few people are poised to jump to conclusions as to what someone else says without reading what was said. I did not say anything other than I would like to know what the cause was and am willing to offer any and all help possible (at my expense). When I began to make the stainless doubler for the vertical it was to make me more comfortable after reading a thread on the potential problem. I then received many requests for this item so we offered them. We subsequently became aware of others that had shown signs of stress and cracks. It is very likely this part had nothing to do with the events of late. But I for one would like to know if this attach point was involved. If something else is involved then lets fix that! When the thread appeared about this area possibly being a potential problem we attempted to address it with a fix. I saw nothing offered from elsewhere, other than criticism. I am not trying to use scare tactics to sell anything. Our products speak for themselves and I use every one of them myself. If one feels threatened by questions, seeking answers to possible safety issues seems all the more important to pose them. In defense of the part in question I will say this, If my vertical stab decides to leave for whatever reason it will still be attached to the horizontal via the stainless bracket we created. I didn't start this thread to sell an existing product, but rather to help address any issue that we are made aware of with a tool or ? that may promote safety for all of us....:D

"We subsequently became aware of others that Has shown signs of stress and cracks."

Tell us about those.

"We subsequently became aware of others that Has shown signs of stress and cracks."

Tell us about those.

... We received some e-mails from owners stating this condition was found when they inspected their mount. They were pretty much a carbon copy of the original posted cracked brackets. Thanks, Allan

I was among those who posted expressing caution / concern about Allan's "reinforcement" Mod on the VS attach. However, I read his post here as not (over) promoting that, but proposing a tool to ensure / make easier to check certain bolts / nuts / torques when access is limited on a completed RV.

Whether or not the nuts on the hinges have any relevance, posts here and my experience / that of a UK inspector, shows these are often loose. So if Allan produced a tool that enabled those lock nuts to be torque checked, whilst holding the rod eye straight, all whilst the Emp is assembled, subject to a peer review on this forum, I could not see this being anything than a great step forward.

As an aside, I know of one RV(-8), and have heard of one other, where the rear 4 AN3 bolts holding the HS on were loose enough to enlarge the holes in the vertical bars attaching the HS to the fuselage. Solution was to go up to AN4 bolts - just OK on ED. I would not advocate AN4 as a matter of course - best solution would be to ensure torqued correctly, and then checked to maintain as such.

Tail attach

From my perspective, I trust the parts are made from material that can handle the loads. The one thing I can do as a builder to ensure that the stresses are carried from one piece to the other is pay attention to the joint. Specifically, bolt hole preparation and bolt type. After watching what goes on back in the tail on every airplane I have watched produce full power during ground ops checks, I have decided to ream the holes for AN173 bolts. These are close tolerance bolts that are made from the same material as the AN bolts called out for. Certainly the wings are loaded higher, however the tail is cycled at an incredible rate compared to the wings. Clamping pressure/torque is important, however nothing will help alleviate hole wear than an initial close tolerance fit.
AC43.13 2B guidance
7-39. BOLT FIT. Bolt holes, particularly
those of primary connecting elements, have
close tolerances. Generally, it is permissible to
use the first-lettered drill size larger than the
nominal bolt diameter, except when the AN
hexagon bolts are used in light-drive fit
(reamed) applications and where NAS closetolerance
bolts or AN clevis bolts are used. A
light-drive fit can be defined as an interference
of 0.0006 inch for a 5/8 inch bolt. Bolt holes
should be flush to the surface, and free of debris
to provide full bearing surface for the bolt
head and nut. In the event of over-sized or
elongated holes in structural members, reaming
or drilling the hole to accept the next larger
bolt size may be permissible. Care should be
taken to ensure items, such as edge distance,
clearance, and structural integrity are maintained.
Consult the manufacturer?s structural
repair manual, the manufacturer?s engineering
department, or the FAA before drilling or
reaming any bolt hole in a critical structural
member.
This tells me I can fudge a 1/4" hole to a letter "F" if it is not a "Primary connecting element" that "have close tolerance" I intend to ream these holes in assembly.

... I will say this, If my vertical stab decides to leave for whatever reason it will still be attached to the horizontal via the stainless bracket we created.

I noticed that in the recent accident photos that the canopy was found detached from the airplane. In the event that it is decidied that ejecting the canopy may be prudent ive had concerns about it impacting the tail. It seems to me that it would probably hit the vert stab if anything. In your opinion would the plate help keep the damage minimal or would it cause the horizontal stab to be affected where it otherwise would have been?

Allan. Good on you

All I can say Allan is keep up the great work
and innovation. I saw the original post of the verticle stab
attach bracket that was cracked and there was another to follow.
Your concern was shared with mine and many others. Your potential
solution to this problem as well as many other known problems are innovative
and quite viable. Thank you for your innovations and insight.
I'm no engineer but I would rather have these products on my plane
than not. Man this is NOT scare tactics to sell products!!
How about a general concern for safety!!

There is a difference between speculation and plain common
sense precaution. By the way, if you develope a special wrench to tighten
the rod end nuts, im sure you well sell many, ironically maybe even to the
negative folk. Thanks again Allan for your great work.

Last edited:

It's a sales thing. It works in here and has been going on for quite a while.

One born every minute.

Wow!

Sales thing? Wow. How about creative thinking, innovation,
A genuine concern for safety, most importantly implementing
ideas. The mindset that made us a great nation!
Do you think many of this countries innovators profited
from their ideas. Hope so!

This thread was talking about rod ends and spars and suddenly veered off on cracked very stab plates. Complete with claims about subsequent cracking reports. If such cracks have been brought to Alan's attention, I would say he has been remiss in not making this known instead of slipping it into a sales brochure. I'm all for improved products, but when Alan comments I often get a whiff of medicine show. Sorry, but that's how it comes across to me.

Having purchased a couple of Allen's products, I've found them to be well thought out, engineered and manufactured. We all have different comfort levels with issues - real, potential or imagined - I appreciate having someone of Allen's ability and talent offering quality products to those that want them. 'course, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

...WOW! Some of you guys are brutal to say the least. Just think, some people pay good money to get spanked! I come here and its free:rolleyes:

Perhaps thread title "Part to Inspect Tail Feathers" would have been more appropriate.
.... I am beginning to think you are correct on this one.
I noticed that in the recent accident photos that the canopy was found detached from the airplane. In the event that it is decidied that ejecting the canopy may be prudent ive had concerns about it impacting the tail. It seems to me that it would probably hit the vert stab if anything. In your opinion would the plate help keep the damage minimal or would it cause the horizontal stab to be affected where it otherwise would have been?
.... This is a very complex question with countless possibilities and possible outcomes. I didn't read the accident report you are referring to and was unaware of the canopy having left the airplane prior to impact. There are many cases in various aircraft where the canopy removes the vertical as it departs. This could be what took place. I do believe it is better to keep all the tail feathers attached as substantially as possible in any case. The canopy came off on a GP-4 that I was aware of and took the vertical with it, killing the pilot. This has been in my mind ever since. I have addressed this on all of our airplanes with mechanical stops or restraints. I also have one installed on my RV-9 slide rail that prevents the canopy from opening more than 6" without deliberately releasing it.
This thread was talking about rod ends and spars and suddenly veered off on cracked very stab plates. Complete with claims about subsequent cracking reports. If such cracks have been brought to Alan's attention, I would say he has been remiss in not making this known instead of slipping it into a sales brochure. I'm all for improved products, but when Alan comments I often get a whiff of medicine show. Sorry, but that's how it comes across to me.
.... I have brought this up a couple of times and seem to get the same results and accusations accusing me of scare tactics etc. This is after all the reason we made the parts. Many people aren't as bullet proof as I am. They don't like being told that they didn't install the original part properly, or massage the edges correctly, or they built stress into the assembly or countless posts, babbling on what they should have done and nothing on what to do to fix it. This after they worked for years doing the best job they could. That is why some do not post issues on the forum. I wish they would but do understand why they don't. I am sorry if you perceive me as a medicine show as I can assure that is not our intent. The bottom line here is we offer very high quality products and solutions, unconditionally guaranteed, and can say this, "We don't have unhappy customers" not even one....:D

Glad you are engaged

Alan, I am one of the two people who have found cracks in our right elevator spar. We have ordered replacement parts from Van's to replace the spar but we currently have no strategy to improve or strengthen it.

I for one am very happy that you are taking a look at this. We have your VS support installed and have some additional peace of mind if nothing more.

This elevator repair is going to be fairly extensive for a flying and very nicely painted plane. It sure would be nice to know we have made an improvement or at least found the cause when we get it all back together.

I have a post much earlier in the thread with the pictures of the crack before disassembly. Let me know any additional information you would like to see! I will send you the cracked spar when we get it out if you would like.

Got to weigh in on this one -

All of the engineering and manufacturing capability brought to bear by Allan and his parent company for the benefit of the RV community are far, far distant from medicine show. He and his employer bring a level of engineering and manufacturing expertise to the small RV after market that can be matched by very few other vendors. I think they deserve better.

I for one would hate to see that talent, skill and benefit harassed out of the market.

This thread is getting a bit silly. Obviously, the name of the thread should be changed by the moderators, as mentioned by someone above, so that it reflects what Alan might be trying to sell. As far as I know there have been no documented empennage failures resulting in a crash except one, and that was brought on by the pilot grossly exceeding Vne. There might another failure, but why that happened will only be known once NTSB determines cause.

Last edited:
I'm all for improved products, but when Alan comments I often get a whiff of medicine show. Sorry, but that's how it comes across to me.

Completely agree. Using fear or feigned concern to sell products will certainly color perceptions now and in the future.

This thread was talking about rod ends and spars and suddenly veered off on cracked very stab plates.

Actually, you really do need to read the OP. The first subject mentioned was the cracking V stab mounting plates.

The second paragraph is when the possibility of a tool for the rod ends was mentioned.

....In light of some recent events and the incident in Canada a couple of years ago involving tail feathers, I am becoming somewhat paranoid. After viewing a thread showing some cracks or flaws in the front vertical spar mountings on two airplanes. We decided to make a mod that would eliminate this being a potential problem ----------As people began to check their aircraft or they went to install this item, we began to receive e-mail stating that they had found cracks in their vertical spar attach plate. That would suggest that this is not just a couple of isolated incidents.

We are currently looking at producing a tool or set of tools to easily access and check the torque on the rudder and elevator mountings

Far as I know, Allan has only created a product related to airframe safety AFTER issues have cropped up; folding nose gears, and now V stab mounting.

Frankly, many of the posts in this thread have been dancing on the very thin ice of deletion.

...WOW! Some of you guys are brutal to say the least. Just think, some people pay good money to get spanked! I come here and its free:rolleyes:

Alan,

This is the funniest response I have ever read on this forum. It's great to see someone who can keep their sense of humor in the midst of some pretty harsh criticism. I couldn't that, and it's a quality I admire in those who can
. Kudos to you!

Last edited:
Agree, "feigned concern" is a presumptive statement that would likely get you punched in the nose in a face to face setting.

Unfortunately, inter web forums do not benefit from the simple mechanism of receiving direct consequences for your speech as face to face situations do.

Completely agree. Using fear or feigned concern to sell products will certainly color perceptions now and in the future.

Feigned ........ficticious,bogas, etc.

How do you know it is?

Along the same lines, I sure wish I had one of those doo-dads, that keeps the nose leg straight. If I had one, I'd still have a plane. That very worthwhile product was released just a few weeks too late.

Vans denied the A gear problem pinning it on pilot error for years. When forced they changed the fork design shortened the leg.Time marched forward and the 10 came out with a whole new front gear leg set up,Still pointing the finger at pilot error for the A gear failures.All the Anti-Splat modifications do,are put the odds back in your favor,If you hit a gofer hole without them you had a 70% chance of ending upside down,now the same hole your odds are down to 30% a big improvement. Prop wash has beat the heck out of VS & Rudders for years, Most 6's have stop drills around the trailing edge,my early plans had me fill the trailing edge with RTV to stop the cracks,Look at the right step issue on 7a/9a's. As much as I hate added weight or until the forward spar is punched out of stainless, I'll spend the $50 for the mod and ream for close tolerance AN
bolts.I understand it cures nothing,I do it to improve my odds nothing more.
I wonder how many builders have gone ahead with plans to build a A gear because of Anti-Splat......I know I'm a sample of 1. Thank You Allan!
IMHO
RHill

Last edited:
You guys are missing the point. It's not that I think Alan's mods are bogus. Just that sometimes it seems I'm reading Vans Advertising Forum.

Got to weigh in on this one -

All of the engineering and manufacturing capability brought to bear by Allan and his parent company for the benefit of the RV community are far, far distant from medicine show. He and his employer bring a level of engineering and manufacturing expertise to the small RV after market that can be matched by very few other vendors. I think they deserve better.

I for one would hate to see that talent, skill and benefit harassed out of the market.

I completely agree!!!

Allan is one of the good guys, and I agree with his comments, as well about the negative pissy comments that occur in this forum. I'm an engineer, have many of his products, have met Allan, and have nothing but praise for the man.

The Nay sayers here need to back off on your insinuations and at least try to be professional. Geezzzzzzz

Last edited:
I have to weigh in too...

Allan, I appreciate all your innovations and talent. I also appreciate the way you bring them to the forum. I think it is professional and in no way trying to scare people into buying stuff. For crying out loud people...if you don't like what he is selling, don't buy it. I for one feel he is the only one out there addressing known issues with these aircraft with simple fixes that help improve your odds. When my plane is at the correct stages Allan, I will be a customer.
To all the naysayers...IF YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA, GET TO THE DRAWING BOARD YOURSELVES AND START MAKING PARTS.
Allan has a right to offer what he has for sale on this forum without getting harrassed out of here.

BOLTS NAS6603 & NAS6604......

Close tolerance

160 to 180 ksi

readily available

drilled or not for many configurations

Standard AN bolts 125 ksi.

It seems like Allan's posts really get under the skin of a few of you. May I recommend the "ignore" function via a short trip to your user control panel? I've made good use of it on another forum I frequent. That way you don't have to see his posts, get your blood pressure up, and then make posts of your own that express your displeasure.

Regards,

Doug

There are a few facets of Alan's OP...some very positive, and some that have raised some concern of jumping to conclusions. I fly with a few of Alan's products and have benefitted from Alan's generosity of time and sponsorship of my RV in racing. I truly don't feel he's the type to use scare tactics or opportunistic marketing.

That being said, I do however, see where language in the OP could raise concerns. We all do our best to convey the message we hope to send, and in this case (shooting straight here Alan) the message about your VS Spar Doubler and the conceptualization of a tool for inspecting and adjusting control surface attachment hardware (both positive things), was blended with your concerns over tail component failures (a very emotional topic).

The thread title (which you said you've evaluated candidly in an earlier post), combined with statements about "becoming a little paranoid" over "recent events and the incident in Canada a couple of years ago involving tail feathers" raised my eyebrows too. I know you are honestly concerned, and if a product within your manufacturing capabilities can help add to safety, you are motivated by the value added to the community. I appreciate that about you very much!

However, the combined discussion of (1) the recent tragic event (about which we really don't yet have answers at all), with (2) recent discussion of elevator spar cracks, plus (3) discussion of VS spar attach hardware...with a dose of (4) this comment, "I would like to see some photos of these mounting plates on the aircraft that experienced the major or complete tail failures, resulting in total destruction" becomes a pretty invigorating blend of words, as we have seen.

As I said, it raised my eyebrows, and I know you mean well, so this is just honest feedback from a friend, and a plug for your forthrightness to others who may not know you yet.

I don't know if there have been "major or complete tail failures, resulting in total destruction", but those are strong words! The thread evolved and even includes discussion of canopy impact on tails.

The combo of events above has many inspecting their tails closely...all good. Perhaps we can separate inspecting the the VS spar and doubling as deemed necessary into one concept or task; inspecting the elevator and H-stab (and developing a tool to help in that task) into another; and leave the Canadian RV-7 incident (completely different failure mode or cause), and the recent accident (completely unknown failure mode or cause) out of what would otherwise be a very positive and productive discussion.

And if you come up with a tool that makes inspecting the tail easier, I'm all in (I inspect my tail often, to be sure!) I would also love to see what Steve Smith suggested to you, as he and I have had similar discussions of tail surface attachment security...though his suggestions may now be proprietary info! ;))

So maybe we can call a truce, eh! :)

Cheers,
Bob

....In light of some recent events and the incident in Canada a couple of years ago involving tail feathers, I am becoming somewhat paranoid. After viewing a thread showing some cracks or flaws in the front vertical spar mountings on two airplanes. We decided to make a mod that would eliminate this being a potential problem as I am sure most on this forum are aware of. My greatest fear in flying is a major control surface failure, an in flight fire or a midair collision. Many of you ordered this product from us as a little extra insurance. As people began to check their aircraft or they went to install this item, we began to receive e-mail stating that they had found cracks in their vertical spar attach plate. That would suggest that this is not just a couple of isolated incidents. I would like to see some photos of these mounting plates on the aircraft that experienced the major or complete tail failures, resulting in total destruction. Possibly we could determine how and where they failed. If anyone has this, or access to some, please let us know, as we would be extremely interested.
... We are currently looking at producing a tool or set of tools to easily access and check the torque on the rudder and elevator mountings (suggestion from a fellow forum member). We hope to have an offering of this tool soon. Anyone with an idea for this type of product, an improved part or mod that may increase safety or piece of mind for all of us, please, give us a call or drop us an e-mail. I promise if at all feasible, we will do our best to evaluate and produce your ideas. Thanks, Allan...:D

Last edited:
I want to add my thoughts, and they having nothing to do with comments or products, just my thoughts on the design of the attach point of the vertical spar.

When I completed this section on my RV-8 (not sure if this applies to other aircraft models), I was unhappy with the spacing of my rivets on the mid spar of the vertical stab, and unhappy with the edge distance I ended up with on the 4 bolt holes that hold that angled plate to the fuse. This was before I was aware of any failures in this area, but my engineer brain told me that this wasn't good enough. Using what I learned from building this area the first time, like I have done with many things on my airplane, I decided to redo this area completed. I replaced the entire mid spar of the vertical stab, made sure my rivets attaching that angled plate to the spar were perfectly spaced, and made sure that after I aligned the vertical, I was able to drill this plate with optimal edge distance on all 4 bolt holes.

Now I am happy with this area on my airplane. As with anything, I'm sure there is some other design for this attach point that could be better, but I do have confidence in Van's design. I have confidence in all of their designs. I believe that if care is taken to build the aircraft as Van's intended, there is no unsafe part of any of these aircraft. Whenever failures such as this occur, I always find myself leaning toward fault of the build itself rather than the design. Flying within the envelope that Van's has designated for each aircraft is important as well.

Just some thoughts I wanted to put out there. Build as well as you can. Mistakes will be made, but try and use your best judgement along with the advice of Van's Aircraft. If something is iffy, spend the money and redo it, it's worth it. Sometimes I felt like I should have just bought two kits for the spare parts, but I have an aircraft I am confident is built well. Also, fly within the design limits of the aircraft. It will always do what it's designed to do.

Also, I have no plans on modifying this area, but of course, I periodically inspect it.. you know, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back