What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Push Rod attach 6A

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
After some terrific help from Walt I managed to get my elevators mounted and am ready to attach the F-690 push rod. What should be used for spacers between the rod end and the horns? If I use washers I'm sure it will be a game of pick up the washers, curse once, repeat as needed! Any tricks or advice. Would a carefully cut tube be better?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Paul

I started this build just after the Ice Age...

Measure first.

Use washers to make up the gap, but super glue them together first.

If you need more than three or so washers, then use a cut tube. As another option, Ace HW may have some suitable alum. spacers in their hardware aisle collection

Measure first.

Use washers to make up the gap, but super glue them together first.

If you need more than three or so washers, then use a cut tube. As another option, Ace HW may have some suitable alum. spacers in their hardware aisle collection

Yes, I used a pipe cleaner to hold it in place while sliding the bolt through. Feeler gages can test the remaining clearance.

Great ideas

Yes, I used a pipe cleaner to hold it in place while sliding the bolt through. Feeler gages can test the remaining clearance.

Thanks guys, sometimes it's the obvious that eludes me!

Thanks again,
Paul

EZ-Turn (Fuel Lube). Great sticky stuff for holding stuff together during assembly. Also great to stick a nut or washer to a finger tip for placement.

I'm sure others do this already, but here is my tip for the elevator pushrod install. I install the rod-end at the elevator without the pushrod. It is much easier to work with. You can even install the elevators to the stab on the bench and then attached the whole assembly to the fuselage. Then just put a towel under the front of the pushrod to hold/protect it. Reach through the aft deck plate and grab the pushrod and thread it onto the rod end. Attach the front end to the bell crank, check the rigging and exposed threads, torque everything...done.

I also measured my elevator horn gap with calipers, did the math and machined tapered spacers for an exact fit, but that is really overkill.

Back