VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-10-2020, 12:17 PM

I did the same thing as Rob, above, and Iím happy with it. Mine looks a little different (color), and has a 3 position power switch that plugs in to the cigarette socket like Robís. I donít know how much current it draws, but that plug is protected by a 10 amp cb and it has never tripped. Works fine, is comfortable, and I can take it out when the weather warms up.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2020
Old 02-10-2020, 04:44 PM

I bought some automotive seat heaters and they work great. We use them often in the winter (which is about 2 weeks long here in San Diego). Switch has a low/high setting and they don't really draw too many amp's even on high setting. I would highly recommend installing them.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2019 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 02-10-2020, 08:12 PM

Default Amperage draw...

I can speak to the amps draw...on low about 3-4 amps per seat until they reach their design temp...then Iíve noticed they cycle on/off to maintain that temp.

Seems about double that on high, but frankly canít remember...I canít sit on them that long when itís on that setting and Iíll note that I rarely have flown when itís been considered necessary to have it there. Not a cold weather fan-boy!

Have never kicked the breaker either...

These seat heaters and a couple of decent battery powered heated jacket liners have kept the fanny/torso toasty warm.

If I was a far north flyer going this way, Iíd probably invest in some decent cycle/snowmobile gear where you can go full Monty with a good vest/liner along with plug in gloves and socks...run that off 12v as well.

Just an FYI too...I took out the heat muff on my ship. Just run it with the above setup...still have scat tubing connected up and I now use the air source as a way of bringing some cool breezes in around our feet during hot WX season...just close it off until that happens.
T67-Hicks Airport, Texas
VAF Monthly Donor
Old 02-11-2020, 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the great information. I have decided to go with permanent heated seats. Not so much to make the wife happy but it sounds like there is a good practice reason to have them in cold weather.
It is more common and easier to do than I realized. Getting Classic Aero for my interior. They will supply the harness and switches. Aerotronics will install on the panel.
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Received RV-14 Empennage Kit October 22, 2019
Started Tail Cone Dec 2019
2020 Dues Paid
Old 02-11-2020, 09:36 PM

Anyone know of an ON/OFF lower amp draw setup? All I'm finding is the LOW/HIGH/OFF switches with the amp draw 5+ amps per seat. Like to keep it under 4 per seat.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofly View Post
Anyone know of an ON/OFF lower amp draw setup? All I'm finding is the LOW/HIGH/OFF switches with the amp draw 5+ amps per seat. Like to keep it under 4 per seat.

Thanks!
Not sure if there's a product that does exactly that. However, you could try:
  • Replace the OFF/LOW/HIGH switch with a SPST that only allows LOW
  • Replace the included switch/relay with a PWM module to give fine-grained control. Possible that you could put an upper limit on the PWM to limit max draw.

FWIW, I'm planning on the heater pads from Flyboy, and a PWM setup. The one downside I've thought of there is there might be greater potential for the back seat heater getting left on accidentally.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 02-12-2020, 07:21 AM

Default Used them yesterday

I put heated seats in the front of my RV-10. I used the carbon fiber ones from Amazon with a 5 position switch. I had to do a lot of trimming, cutting and fitting to get them installed including cutting the pad into 3 sections joined only by the edges.

I had them on 2 (out of 5) yesterday. These seats are as comfy and warm as my Cadillac!

Since I am still in phase 1 my wife hasn't had the chance to use them. She will be thrilled when she does.

Worth the cost and effort !
RV Hotel, come by and visit if you're in town
Dues paid 2019
Old 02-12-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leok View Post
I put heated seats in the front of my RV-10. I used the carbon fiber ones from Amazon with a 5 position switch. I had to do a lot of trimming, cutting and fitting to get them installed including cutting the pad into 3 sections joined only by the edges.

I had them on 2 (out of 5) yesterday. These seats are as comfy and warm as my Cadillac!

Since I am still in phase 1 my wife hasn't had the chance to use them. She will be thrilled when she does.

Worth the cost and effort !
can you say exactly which one you purchased from Amazon? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofly View Post

Thanks!
Hi Clark, I don't know about other models of seat heaters, but we specifically chose the ones we use because they have a simple relay system to change the Hi/Lo function. The high setting just delivers 12V (parallel) to each element, and low delivers 6V (series) to each element. It would be easy to wire the seats for permanent low.

541.926.1373 fax
www.classic.aero
VAF Advertiser since 2003