- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Ive also experienced great service from my monster retreads....
I'm also happy with my Monster Retreads. I had Desser send the tires along with new Michelin AirStop tubes directly to AntiSplatAero who I had my Cleveland wheels sent to.

ASA re-machined the wheels, installed their sealed bearings, mounted and balanced the Desser tires and tubes, and sent them back to me with a 24-hour turn around. THAT is great service. Plus, no more messy repacking of the bearings.
RV-12 builder assist and phase 1 flight test
EAA/AOPA/Vans Air Force 2018 Supporter
Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 AM

The big thing I noticed when switching to the Monster retreads I can run my tires at a higher tire pressure without wheel shake / shimmy. When I first installed the Van's provided Airhawks I had to keep my tire pressure down around 27-30 PSI to prevent the wheel shake. With the Monster retreads I can put as much pressure in the tire as I want without the wheel shake.

I think there are two reasons the Monster retread is better;
1 - The main tire carcass is always a much better tire, first set were Goodyear Flight Custom II's and the second set were Michelin's.
2 - I believe (no verification or data to prove) they are balanced better from the start point.

Just my 2 cents.

Build it light and cheap
Old 09-06-2015, 09:36 AM

Angry Large Bubble on side wall of Desser Goodyear Elite II

Yesterday A friend on my field showed me how to change out a tire, pack bearing, replace brakes...

After installing the brand new Desser (Goodyear) Elite II (6 Ply) tires and mounting them back onto the airplane (RV-8), a guy from our EAA chapter came over and examined our work. While looking at the brakes he noticed a large bubble forming in the side wall of the Goodyear I installed from Desser. Definitely a no go, very glad we caught it as it would be no fun have that side wall blow out.

I will contact Desser and see what they do about.

Anyone else have a problem like that before?
Old 09-06-2015, 04:38 PM

Default Desser Monster Retread Review

Many years back, I had a non- monster tire cap start to peel up. I called Desser and described the condition and how they were only in service 3 months. A guy named Bob, I think, said he would send me a new replacement. He asked me to use the box the replacement came to send the problem tire back to him. He also said sorry for the trouble. I have purchased Desser tires ever since with no problems. Dan
Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Default Very Satisfied Customer!!!!

....We have used the Desser recaps as far back as I can remember, with virtually no issues. Most flight schools use them (Monster recaps) because of the abuse and high number of landings they routinely see. The extra thick, special wear compound rubber will provide two to three times the landings of any other tire we see, at far lower cost. We install several of these weekly on customer aircraft and find them to be very true, round and very close on the balance. I fly the RVs quite a lot (400+ hrs a year) and these tires have performed flawlessly for us as well. A great product, from an excellent company. Thanks, Allan...
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 09-08-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
Yesterday A friend on my field showed me how to change out a tire, pack bearing, replace brakes...

After installing the brand new Desser (Goodyear) Elite II (6 Ply) tires and mounting them back onto the airplane (RV-8), a guy from our EAA chapter came over and examined our work. While looking at the brakes he noticed a large bubble forming in the side wall of the Goodyear I installed from Desser. Definitely a no go, very glad we caught it as it would be no fun have that side wall blow out.

I will contact Desser and see what they do about.

Anyone else have a problem like that before?
I had the same thing happen with one tire upon installation on my RV-9. I took a picture and emailed it to them and they promptly sent another postage paid and had me return the defective tire in the shipping box. Great service! Tires are great but I wonder why a defective carcass didn't get culled before retreading.
RV-12 #120515, 319RV over 235 hours.
1st flight 12/08/15, flew SNF, Oshkosh, Triple Tree & SERFI in year 1!
RV-9A, 536 hours, sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold
Old 09-08-2015, 09:11 PM

Thumbs up Desser comes through with a replacement! Happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmillhouse View Post
I had the same thing happen with one tire upon installation on my RV-9. I took a picture and emailed it to them and they promptly sent another postage paid and had me return the defective tire in the shipping box. Great service! Tires are great but I wonder why a defective carcass didn't get culled before retreading.
I emailed Desser over the weekend regarding the defective tire I received (significant size bubble/bulge in the side wall of a brand new 6 ply 500-5 tire for my RV-8).

I sent a couple of pictures of the defective tire to Desser. I was told the issue I experienced was rare.

I'm very happy to report I received an email response from the reps at Desser this morning and a new tire is on its way with a tracking number as evidence. I will remain grounded until I get the new tire installed.

Indeed great service at Desser.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:28 AM

Default Desser Retreads

I changed out my mains to Desser retreads (not the monster) from ones Van's supplied after about 100 hours or so.

I wasn't able to balance one of the tires supplied by Desser without a massive amount of balance weights. I call Desser and they immediately sent out a new tire and I shipped the other back at their cost.

I have about 150 hours on the tires (probably about 75-100 landings) and have some unusual wear on one tire (what I call elliptical wear). Spoke with Desser at Oshkosh and they couldn't explain it. Flipped this tire last December. Might need to replace the set this December. If I do I will be using the Monsters this time. When I originally spoke with Desser they suggested the standard retread because they thought the Monsters would last so long that they would rot out before wearing out based on my flying hours/year.

I would not hesitate purchasing from Desser again.

Paul Merems (EAA Tech Counselor, EAA Sheetmetal Workshop Instructor/Volunteer 12 yrs)
ExperimentalAero-HANGAR BANNERS
www.experimentalaero.com
RV-7A (Flying since 2010)/RV-4 (sold 1990)
Tucson, Arizona 85749
Old 09-09-2015, 09:18 AM

I've had Monster retreads on my -7A for 3 years. They're not wearing quite as well as the Air Hawks I had on for several years prior to the Monsters. I just flipped the tires on their wheels to even out wear.

I've noticed that the Monsters have developed noticeable cracking in the grooves between ribs which one of the Desser guys at Airventure blamed on low tire pressure. That could be but I've sought to maintain pressures between 45 & 50 psi. The Leakguard tubes that Desser sold me with the tires lost enough air that I needed to take the main wheel fairings off at least once a month to add air to keep the pressures up.

I couldn't resist the discount offered by Aircraft Spruce at Airventure so I bought a couple of Goodyear Flight Special II to use next along with some Michelin Airstop tubes.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:46 PM

Question monster retreads

Are the tires bigger, I have very small openings on my wheel pants?
RV6A owner
L19 sold
Dues paid 2015,16,17