What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to drill F-902 to upper longeron?

storkeye

Friend
I'm about to disassemble the fuselage for deburring and priming when I noticed that I haven't yet drilled the F-902 bulkhead to upper longeron.

The plans say don't rivet that yet, fine, but it's not clear when to drill. Should I hold off drilling until fitting F-7105B or is it better to match drill now and use the hole to back drill F-7105B later?

I'm about to disassemble the fuselage for deburring and priming when I noticed that I haven't yet drilled the F-902 bulkhead to upper longeron.

The plans say don't rivet that yet, fine, but it's not clear when to drill. Should I hold off drilling until fitting F-7105B or is it better to match drill now and use the hole to back drill F-7105B later?

Hold till F7105B is fit. I actually forgot and did it later. No problem.

I did it later as well and it wasn't a problem. However, I don't see a problem with doing it sooner either. Just cleco all the parts in the area together and get your drill on.

I bought a partly built fuselage. F-901 is installed but the upper tab to upper longeron has not been drilled. The problem I have is that with the 901 squared up, the tab doesn’t overlap longeron enough for the required edge distance of the -4 rivet that is called out. Same issue with the rudder stop brackets. Is this common I wonder?

Back