What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Costco 93E10 - $2.92

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I have been using Costco 93E10 for a couple of years now. Runs fine in the Rotax 912 with no problems. I thought I'd post this with recent Saudi Arabia oil field attack and subsequent spike in world oil prices. As of yesterday Costco is still selling 93E10 for $2.92. It has been my observation that Costco holds their premium fuel at pretty constant pricing and well below the national brands.

Flew last night with $2.92 Costco fuel - :D

I am disgusted with the fuel prices at our Costco up here in Brighton MI. I get fuel cheaper at the Kroger gas station with my Kroger card. :mad:

Fuel Prices

Normally I'm as price-sensitive as the next person.
However, I bought 15 gallons of 93 Mogas at one of the discount chains recently and filled up the plane after a day of flying.
On pre-flight the next weekend I drained 1-1/2 cups of muddy water from the gascolator. Yipes!
I've decided to stick with the couple of Brand-name stations that haven't dispensed "muddy" fuel (so far). It's a guessing game as to which stations sell enough volume of the 93 (or blend it accurately) to minimize likelihood of a problem. (Fuel experts please chime in!)
Since our -12s are such "fuel sippers" I'll spend the 2-3 extra bucks per tankful in the hope that I'll have fewer problems and less risk of engine damage.
2 (maybe 3) cents,
Dave

Costco fuel in our area comes from the 76 Union /Conoco tanks down in Wilmington / Torrance, Los Angeles, CA.

Paid $3.639 a gallon here on 9-19. Premium, with a hella lot of road tax per gallon driving the price up. Later in day, paid $4.09 for 100LL. Gasoline is just plain expensive here in CA. Lot of road tax per gallon on it.

Last edited:
The main problem with our local Costco it is always too busy to land and taxi to the pumps to refuel. Price is good though.

Do you still test it to make sure it is only 10% ethenol?

That's a relevant question especially now if federal government caves into farmers and increases ethanol content in fuel to 15%.

Is there a simple test to determine actual % ethanol content in a fuel sample?

Contaniments in gasoline

Dave has a great point. I recently bought zero ethanol fuel here in Fla at an old station, it was the only one in the area that had zero ethanol. Put in my RV 12 tank. Sumped the gascolator and I also have a drain immediately below the tank. My take off was normal until 2000agl . The started stumbeling and quit of and on, Rpm went to 3800 with WOT,limped back to field ok. On post flight used a water and ethanol checker, tested good except for a very cloudy substance in fuel. Was unable to determine source of cloudiness. Purged entire system engine now operates normally. Lesson to me, I suspect SOME of the older stations that do not sell a lot of volume, along with the filtering system may be a problem. My suspicion is, possible Diesel fuel in zero ethanol fuel tank. GL Ben

When I was in college (long time ago) I fueled my car and got about 1/4 mile down the road before it quite cold. Discovered that I bought 7 gallons of water. The next week I drove past the gas station and they were digging up their storage tank to find source of ground leak. I got reimbursed for fuel but not my labor to drain/clean fuel system. I switched my elegance to a different supplier...

Back