What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing Kit Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Well, a current thread about seatbelt lugs made me start to think. I just inventoried my finishing kit and there are no seat belts included. I figured for the price we are paying we would get seat belts. but my more concerning question:

What else is not supplied in the finishing kit? Other than the obvious like avionics and engine.

I know that seats are not, but what else? Like the grips for the stick--I guess that there are too many options for this one.

Just curious.

No grips, no seat belts, no main wiring harness, no dash fan harness, no angled fuse holder assembly. I wish the floor parts and seat backs that come in the finishing kit were in the fuselage kit as it would have made priming and painting them easier to do along with the fuselage parts. I have the Tosten grips and RV-14 aftermarket sticks as well, the sticks/grips don't hit the dash when assembled and don't need to be cut down like the factory sticks do.

Yes I found it odd that the seatbacks and cockpit cover panels weren't in the fuselage kit. Also why is there no instrument panel? This should have been listed as an opt out /in when ordering.

This could easily be a sticky thread... One to list the things you need to decide on yourself with no help from Van's. Two for the options people have chosen.

For example I'm trying to decide on a parking brake cable. Really like this site: http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Products/?CategoryID=282&ID=13975852&

If I have a Beringer parking brake, do I need a locking cable? Or will it stay put when I pull it? I could find out the hard way I guess.....

So what did you decide...

JDA-BTR,

....with your parking brake. I?m leaning toward adding one as well.

What parking brake did you use, cable and also where did you mount them.

Are you glad you installed the PB?

I use the PB all the time. I didn't know of a bracket made by Beringer to mount it on the rudder bar bearing so I made one and mounted it midline. So my brake lines go reservoir -> right side -> left side -> PB in the middle -> aft. There is a thread here somewhere with pics I made at the time. The cable is the simple pull cable with detent same as used for the heaters.

I put my PB pull in the left hole where the cabin heat is usually found. That way I can reach it when out of the plane. You have to be in the plane and apply the brakes to set the brake. But once out you can release the brake this way.

The pilot heater pull is midline left of the throttle. The passenger heater pull is in the usual place. My aux air is midline right of the mixture. Stein made a great bracket for the 5 pulls under the panel in a nice row.

This could easily be a sticky thread... One to list the things you need to decide on yourself with no help from Van's. Two for the options people have chosen.

For example I'm trying to decide on a parking brake cable. Really like this site: http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Products/?CategoryID=282&ID=13975852&

If I have a Beringer parking brake, do I need a locking cable? Or will it stay put when I pull it? I could find out the hard way I guess.....
I don't know if the Beringer valve will stay in the "set" position without help. I do know that mine was working its way from the "release" position on its own, over the course of 5-10 seconds after pushing it all the way forward, so my original plan (just reach under the panel to the left rudder bracket where I mounted it and operate the lever directly) is not going to work and I will need to figure out a good place to put the control for it. I would be comfortable with a simple sliding control, not a locking one. But I am nervous about the possibility of tapping the brakes on the runway and finding that the parking brake has set itself.

I'm not flying yet, of course. I just noticed this behavior while I was filling/bleeding the brake system and it concerned me. I have a few months before it absolutely has to be solved so I'm focusing on other things first, like building wings. :)

I'm not flying yet, of course. I just noticed this behavior while I was filling/bleeding the brake system and it concerned me. I have a few months before it absolutely has to be solved so I'm focusing on other things first, like building wings. :)

I had the same concerns with the Beringer parking brake, once I connected the control, there are no issues with it moving on its own.

5G-ASjYj8LtRYCy1bm2kuzV0mvQQe3k5cqNAmKCY1_MHVU6cfzU4h5OeH1hoCDmgKVlbkSmEnp7wwJ1UD8AeaSjDD7nM9s436SzRNTr2J2qalH8zL7m2nT2hGY9Z_8viaKgXmx2GvXwx_X9UKfRC-cxltus7XFjQGD2JsmCyBPTJkoD9Bs2J6CsM1Qf_Y2pvDPzNvKnl6JFtDQNWCbPLqFv0ENJ_TUHsfJuVqUIsOBh4Kr0Y1BsTTfGwU-9FB4vxUdvgRCxwzwypfFRvoukzo84MrRnfbOz_TvhiiAvtjsSbg_OVflUN67mrbUtv8SbGoICmpKhGT5xV5S_yyqmjho1S0xnlZxENyllphPYDXjjJUyNoj5Yy1ZZmjVTxor-ndp184rHUEVEC-fgZiV3aBBc4HYx1UhSJuE1x-o5mQaq5HqcUKdnLNV46AXopyCT0tAiSamYLRswJldTtEvQRUUVOtQamqC8FCarIPQtNpmC-imvyH1XiX-YLEMIRzWDFOPJVKkifNg2FpsXWX2kw_ytNToSnHlILSb2HQBBpA72oONtf4Wbdsg_bRi6c5VoIJu_Foo6LJLYICYvcUL1SigtHn0GFUc3pVMLw6mdmTUZ-9Zcdy2xNPLOS_yeOEQDE-zf5q1FzT9m98cPDJw_Op9c0jYuQOnkZVPOxcRy7FPQuKBb1qeZzT9aa7qM9mRUL0TwIF7b3FCskrXz6dvFS0ImF6wqDH88YBUMJppi1YM4Gc_sG=w978-h1303-no

I had the same concerns with the Beringer parking brake, once I connected the control, there are no issues with it moving on its own.

Thanks for the picture. That is likely what I'll end up doing. I take it that the control doesn't have too much slop at the forward position as you have it installed?

With the slight detent in the cable mind never wanders. The brake lever places no force on the cable end.

FWIW...I located the parking brake control near the pilot's cabin heat so I can release it from outside. The front of the control knob is flush with the front of the panel:

fZn38YnGxkT7_RK2skuPaq9VdnyXSDUvqH7Q-M5v9k2MYlLAGYof6wg18BLcT6Ps1YPkDe2ia7zzqujYTboEGfjKfUjIcHFH0N--YGa34x1_PHEpMioEtJD7n9RXN0bEs_nUyuQo8F3T6UJMHfZKSAkI-3Cv8kMB7NWMcqA0Gr6x6tYvb2CN2v-FLU03QG5hy1enV8a7L-Hvmks5z_fOPjNUVqQY9jg7MDYMTHiZ2ry7cCdq8osTmyActQwSfNjfCOyfR4XKvHyAQphyXxMNGTN-q8N5HD3R9LlCWh3WbWRWAS0baIx4GIYZEOhlNgAihfJaGFL4b2ktR3yQhrmRq-uE4sMamRiS9uEALGjzf2mvpqcPKoY544zxCylEiWnKdsHpINjkEKG93vnjYqTpy8n26ufXuD1n4XxyCf2PkhdmL0prRzFuKSxdlXfs4MqJ487ZT_sl4FzWdBkk_OoF5Y79KeBxHyLppZRivny-4EyuheFIuWjxRA68K9RqzRkq6lYw-CYDWRA0IxH1lLk9ERPJGKUi9e03bg2jb8jPFmpDMPnvWyu6zbfmSIvz4a8XAt2x47D_rMa89o2c-WqmhK8osbLqoxv_UrF0-xLw_QsEyTZklV27GxsnGpqwlLgiT53V2zQoUp_K_k12b812z14oMWFQmpoggxCKPWFfga8j34Uu3516TiwSk3Y1SeeyiLIDKEyG1HXkMRfqFNP9V-_O7WNMTr-qjyjaEEhi0RxxXWA=w500-no

uWaYJBro_7-cAsgafXR8edAxcVegT2TjbB0ksF_COmECPkSX4QzFIelM8JErXVv7x5MYs3rWPWOPMK617REefuv3hFRB2G3wP3i6fdg6wWtlcxIaSc6PloENIOFlWF-ZZzqgaFBzSMW_QULg1IG-F1A8_6zEz9a7br9wqoXjKsAo5TzMt7pDx_GKLlVsa97vrgI2Wrl7dlvnfeCKE1xb5dKOxwyW--nROh18xaLeYIMEfjhpbriJN7V_MXdL37AHO6nouQwfFhthpOuqfCBkfYy_pH2trJ1QSC11sPAuGsJlpOpJf8XtpNDploYValu-5pRSvVvYteyt-vaRS5HHOaD1joB6p2yHwM7_VcKw8yOi8ItCqZdOpQX_PIrHGS3e43lHvftv0-mxJYOFRLNmd9BeeBCsmlXVlYVUHFS49GBcHmzVGsT7rFiYPQxxtTmbs1TwAsmNs34c55vLpYt3sUNNX2HHfbGp8_ffn2ZNKKYaEXdt4U9rAaoJAd62RGZocwlMBr00fMUE8-2-zRw5ZmlHt0KmHqj0DpJA-M_mFAUSmvNohL-s6Lj3sbNWUdSUvB8eDhHrRh83kRBlK79ksD9wn-2jPTQw89BEDgyg1-mIAgYzGzu-J9B0DapvpH-yc443r1hoEZO-E7HHMw6aDD-OjC8OdnDOgCideUIXEVUYfDDUuwHMfkBkABhBvFbNSdAqZAS6P4AeIwf_lGcpPVfGwfQ6R_0otup7QumRuVODykM=w500-no

Back