What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HXr multiple approach question

clam

Well Known Member
For those familiar with GRT instrument procedures....

Today I flew multiple practice approaches using the HXr driven by a Garmin 430W. The flight plan and nav mode source are set to external. The system performed flawlessly during a full procedure turn. I "EXECUTED" the approach on the HXr when established inbound on FAC. The system displayed lateral and vertical deviations to DA as expected.

I flew back out and attempted two of the exact same scenarios but could not get the GPS vertical deviations and the "EXECUTE" softkey never illuminated after the first approach. I believe the vertical deviations were not available because I could not "EXECUTE" the subsequent approaches.

I reloaded and activated the approaches on the 430W as I did on the first approach and it populated in the HXr flight plan.

Is this a switchology problem? Do I need to do something in the HXr to get the "EXECUTE" option to become available for subsequent approaches? The GPS lateral deviations functioned as expected.

I did not use the "MISSED" function in the HXr after the first approach because I thought selecting a new approach in the 430W would "reset" the HXr.

Thoughts?
Thanks

I did not use the "MISSED" function in the HXr after the first approach because I thought selecting a new approach in the 430W would "reset" the HXr.

Thoughts?
Thanks

I?m pretty sure you need to push ?missed?. When you push ?execute? you lock in the settings. This is why: suppose you?re shooting an rnav(gps) approach, but it has an odd miss. Say, ?immediate right turn to 090, vectors to...?. Once you are established on the gps approach, and have pushed execute, you can go into the HXr?s menu, change mode to ?heading?, set the heading bug to 090, set the altitude to the missed approach altitude. Nothing will change, the box will continue on the gps approach. Until you push ?missed?. Then the autopilot will go to heading mode, will turn to 090, and climb to the set altitude. (You need to increase power).

Back