What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine on rotating stand, what kind of oil?

DavePlaneGrips

Well Known Member
Had my engine in a plastic bag with desiccant in my shop for the past year. I'm about to mount it on a rotating engine stand and I'm wondering what kind of oil should I put in it? I don't see why it would have to be aviation grade since I'll be draining it anyway but I wanted to see what other folks have used.

Hi David,

I did this to a O360 that was not going to be installed for an extended (still not installed) period of time. I removed the intake tubes and capped off the intake and exhaust ports with rubber gaskets and plywood backing plates. Plugged the crankcase vent. Then filled the entire motor with the cheapest 30wt oil I could find.

Then I turned the motor upside down and left it that way. In this position, you never have to rotate it, everything is in oil... the entire crankcase, cam, rods, pistons both sides and the valves. The crank seal is 100% oiled. The only place inside the engine that is not sealed in oil is the bottom of the sump that has nothing of value in it.... But if you want,you could remove the drain plug and top it off also.......
No airspace = no corrosion.

Hi David,

I did this to a O360 that was not going to be installed for an extended (still not installed) period of time. I removed the intake tubes and capped off the intake and exhaust ports with rubber gaskets and plywood backing plates. Plugged the crankcase vent. Then filled the entire motor with the cheapest 30wt oil I could find.

Then I turned the motor upside down and left it that way. In this position, you never have to rotate it, everything is in oil... the entire crankcase, cam, rods, pistons both sides and the valves. The crank seal is 100% oiled. The only place inside the engine that is not sealed in oil is the bottom of the sump that has nothing of value in it.... But if you want,you could remove the drain plug and top it off also.......
No airspace = no corrosion.

Well there's an idea. Thanks for the tip!

Back