What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prepped, but didnt prime

Eztroller

Well Known Member
I had a few parts I prepped (scotchbrite/cleaned) and set aside for several days now. Had something get in the way of my priming. What should I be concerned about? I am using SW wash primer.

Thx

aluminum begins oxidizing the minute it's old layer is removed. Recommendation is to apply paint within 2 hours of abrasion/oxidation removal. The oxidation layer, even though not visible, significantly reduces the paint's adhesion strength. This does not apply to self-etch primers.

Larry

Thanks for the reply Larry. So if I understand correctly, prime on....? The oxidation issue is simply regarding adhesion, not correct corrossion prevention?

Prime

I talked to SW about this when using their P60G2 primer. The tech that I spoke with recommended priming right away as the Aluminum does begin to oxidize immediately. He said that the primer will adhere to the oxidizes aluminum, the sooner the primer goes on after cleaning, the better.

Just a data point from the manufacturer...

Thanks for the reply Larry. So if I understand correctly, prime on....? The oxidation issue is simply regarding adhesion, not correct corrossion prevention?

Any primers ability to protect a subsurface is directly related to it's ability to adeher to the substrate. As Rocketman mentioned, some will adhere to oxidation better than others, but it is never optimal.

Larry

Scuffing vs cleaning

The parts are scuffed. You've got a nice rough surface for mechanical adhesion. If the surface is not water break free ( water beads) then aluminum oxide has formed. Aluminum oxide is only a few mils thick. Paint does not stick to it very well. Removal of any aluminum oxide is easy. Scrub with a powdered cleanser. Bon Ami is best. No bleach. Comet and Ajax work but rinse well to remove the bleach. Use a gray scotchbrite pad as a scrub pad. You will notice the surface becomes water break free. No aluminum oxide. Rinse, dry and prime.

Back