VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-18-2018, 10:37 PM

Default Rocket canopy

Not too sure if many own Rockets or follow these pages but if anyone can chime in that would be great.
I've got an opportunity to become 'Rocketized' but the canopy is the traditional what I would call blunt nose, I prefer the streamlined front. Question is can the fwd part of the streamlined canopy be retrofitted to the ' blunt' type?
Tnxs Rocketeers��
Old 01-19-2018, 05:47 AM

Default Need more info

If the blunt type is a slider, the change too the Speed Slope is easy.

Thatís my story, and Iím stickiní to it!

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997
Old 01-19-2018, 07:04 AM

After a birdstrike in the RV-8, I ditched the traditional blown bubble windscreen in favor of a flat wrap. That was a slider, however. I have a thread showing the process here on VAF. It was relatively easy.

My Rocket is a traditional one piece blown canopy with the hinge on the side, and I intend to replace it with a flat wrap windscreen as well. I much prefer the side hinge however, so I'm keeping that. We will have to see how much work that ends up being. I hope its "easy".
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, wasn't to sure how active the Rocket thread/s where. The one I've had a test fly of (that's another story!) has the tip over style canopy & am a big fan of a slider type, gotta look cool in a Rocket Ship
I've been seeking an 8 for ages but came across this Rocket by accident, now I have bee spoiled although it's not very practicable for what I really want, two RV's perhaps? Now I wonder if there is any drugs that can help with such an affliction?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:17 PM

Drugs? Just lots of 100LL.

...and there is no cure
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 01-19-2018, 05:27 PM

Default Rocket Canopy

My two cents worth. I have the standard tip over canopy on my Rocket II and I prefer it to a slider, only because it is so much easier to get in and out of it. No other reason than that.

Are you looking at Red Rider? If it is, I know the guy who built that one here in the US and sold it to a guy downunder, and I think it has be sold one or two other times since. I was at the air show in Avialon and saw a flyer with an ad in it showing it for sale, but that was about 4 or 5 years ago.

Brian

Last edited by Pdtofly : 01-19-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:13 PM

Default canopy

I agree the "standard" Rocket canopy has a bit of a blunt nose. I also think the slope flat wrap looks a little goofy. I had Becky blow a special canopy with an extended front so it is still curved but not blunt. I am cutting it so it will have a windscreen and structural hoop; but instead of a slider it is a tip-over. To my way of thinking I'm making the best of all worlds. But that's just my opinion.
Rocket (under construction)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Gee Larry you are adventurous there Be good to see some pix when all done. Thanks for yr input

Last edited by Capt : 01-20-2018 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdtofly View Post
My two cents worth. I have the standard tip over canopy on my Rocket II and I prefer it to a slider, only because it is so much easier to get in and out of it. No other reason than that.

Are you looking at Red Rider? If it is, I know the guy who built that one here in the US and sold it to a guy downunder, and I think it has be sold one or two other times since. I was at the air show in Avialon and saw a flyer with an ad in it showing it for sale, but that was about 4 or 5 years ago.

Brian
Hi Brian. Am not too sure of it's history, I flew it then walked away from it as I would have fallen for it had I stayed much longer...BUT having said that am still dreaming of it!:-) It's a 2001 build, deep red colour with very fine gold pin stripping, 2 x glass panels, oddly enough am not a fan of glass, old 6 pack guy here It has manual trim & manual flaps, manual flaps I found hard to operate but I know that can be changed. Man what a blast that was to drive!
Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Drugs? Just lots of 100LL.

...and there is no cure
Michael drugs would be cheaper down under trust me ! Go outback well away from the rat race that is Australian cities & expect to pay $US11-12 USGal as this country has the mentality to rip off aviators at every opportunity!
I kinda know there is no cure but they are coming up with all sorts of cures these days