What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Halon Fire Extinguisher re certification

jrm7997

I've been looking for somewhere to get my Model 344 Halon 1211 F.E. re certified. There is a place in Richmond BC that does this for $90. I've called a couple other big re Cert. companies and nobody seems to do them.

Before dropping it off i thought I would ask the experts what everyone else is doing.

Thanks in advance

I've been looking for somewhere to get my Model 344 Halon 1211 F.E. re certified. There is a place in Richmond BC that does this for $90. I've called a couple other big re Cert. companies and nobody seems to do them.

Before dropping it off i thought I would ask the experts what everyone else is doing.

Thanks in advance

So I talked to a local service center guy for my FE (Halon 1211), and his advice? As long as the gauge is in the green, leave it alone. It'll be just fine.

That I would really like to know and trust

I know these FE are not like the CO2 extinguishers. Those you hammer the bottom, shake them, check the weight and that they are in the green and you are good.

But i know nothing about the Halon and I'd like to be sure its going to work the one time i need it :)

The manufacturer of the H3R extinguishers has indicated in their literature that weighing the extinguisher, in addition to checking gauge indication, was the accept method of verifying functional fitness.

Now all I have to do is remember where I read that info as I have a couple of the H3R extinguishers and, at current prices, certainly don't want to be replacing them!

Sounds like an acceptable method...weigh it and check the pressure gauge. Guy I talked to said, basically, they either leak or they don't, and if they leak, you'll see it on the gauge. Otherwise, no need to service them.

It's stored as a liquid - it's either in there or it's not. If it leaks, it loses weight.

I like that. Its...

"Its either in there or its not." :)

Its in there and the gauge is on the low side but easily in the green.

It's stored as a liquid - it's either in there or it's not. If it leaks, it loses weight.

From what I have read, they all leak. I assume it is measuring vapor pressure and mass loss is not totally reflected on a pressure gage. My friend and I weigh the unit every year, and put a sticker with year & weight on it.

From what I have read, they all leak. I assume it is measuring vapor pressure and mass loss is not totally reflected on a pressure gage. My friend and I weigh the unit every year, and put a sticker with year & weight on it.

Ok, so if an H3R halon unit is ?light? and below the green on the pressure gauge, where can It be serviced/filled cost effectively? Has anyone done this and been satisfied with the results?

Peter

In bc....

I was trying through the fire ext. outfits to get it recertifications. But they don?t handle them. In bc Survivtech on annisis island does the model 334 fo $90. They are an aviation/ marine survival outfit. They supply to large fishing fleets etc.

So if you can?t find a FE place look at aviation/ marine .

Ok, so if an H3R halon unit is “light” and below the green on the pressure gauge, where can It be serviced/filled cost effectively? Has anyone done this and been satisfied with the results?

Peter

I just called locally and it was $25 for the 1.25 lb, Halon 1211, unit we use. Just the 6 year service not the hydrostatic test. O-rings are replaced part of the routine.

Aviation not mentioned as it is irrelevant.

Just look for a service near you. Probably not a good idea to ship across borders as Halon is considered hazardous.

EDIT: NFPA requires that all portable fire extinguishers get serviced 6 yrs and hydrostatic checked each 12. Not sure if that would apply to Canada.

Last edited:
I just called locally and it was $25 for the 1.25 lb, Halon 1211, unit we use. Just the 6 year service not the hydrostatic test. O-rings are replaced part of the routine.

Aviation not mentioned as it is irrelevant.

Just look for a service near you. Probably not a good idea to ship across borders as Halon is considered hazardous.

EDIT: NFPA requires that all portable fire extinguishers get serviced 6 yrs and hydrostatic checked each 12. Not sure if that would apply to Canada.

Thanks. I will make some calls to local/regional outfits.

Back