What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Aluminum Fairing in place of Fiberglass

azflyer21

Well Known Member
Just saw the Vans Demo RV14A at Copperstate and noticed that they used and aluminum fairing riveted to the canopy frame. Talked with Mitch and he said that it was very complicated to supply in the kit. Has anyone done their own aluminum fairing? If I attempt my own, should I use Sikaflex between the canopy and fairing?
mzoxggzzTNKWarZPiDzNoZf9OYguoT7oyO5smTASkI-O796ByG4WppRgBScQvAAbIvpRcsSRlGXEyEXLOEv5sIbBYj71wMUmHZwRS5pyXD143llv5_slq8-M1sWtIkTCPn1k0z8X53SfMUqY-5VfYTlVk9NqNHYkyyWWdSBlK9l5pb1xi0rcSCiNddQx0fPMJg-P3ZTq9G5GpW1eMhALnpueHnx3n3dwMyNLBtfbzcAs_N00C0A-AUfOsY2L5445ZSwWV6Lo03aUGhnExe31zr2gyRPN8ZgAhuEO1OSkrHfmNUmAbRgxDySlla4oUgY62wvapNd2NKPWQNrqdtPVedNwYAI5Gl1RH48dKrrjF2KRM9bU-CTr6zlMEH4Pa1QKVastfkvTHaV-d8nBZ9zuCJB0YRUYkDLtnZA4KqfsP0ztLIaSsSGnqdq2oKaeYCb9KWLP2IF_-8l04OpcjWAuaT9nbHOoxFANvGUguSw8epd1crzczrCpgdJ9MhLq8QsbZcS7MPxTgwuXqCeTaREGeUFZSNV9CPSSOEloXvCAwAk3V959RbKyBspiyX4OITz9zid0QKcPr0qQqQiyod-H04oWET525DcJ_jcjarv-05gEaDgm7Py2YRwdSydxRTtFrUfctJG63gBF3A4sJDzL_TGqN6cMjsgF=w978-h1304-no

I did an aluminum fairing. There are instructions to be found in an old issue of the RVator that I found in a compilation called 22 years of the RVator.

Mine is screwed to the fuselage skin, along with a dab of pro seal, as I built my 6A before Sikaflex hit the scene. One thing that is a small benefit is that the windscreen can be removed without paint damage.... theoretically, in the event of damage.

As a first time builder I was very apprehensive about laying the fiberglass fairing, having no experience at all.

It really wasn't that bad and, after the painter did his magic, it looks like a factory made it.

With that said, I would have loved an option that let you easily swap the fiberglass in case of cracks or whatever. As it stands now, looks like you would have to rebuild the entire canopy if you needed to replace it.

That pic from Jim's post ... I would certainly have paid extra for such a clean canopy fairing option that is easily serviceable.

I did metal also. Back in the day, a lot of folks where posting about uneducated passengers leaning on them for support to get in and cracking them.
You can also do fiberglass that is removable. Nothing says you have to do a permanent layup as long as the windscreen is secured mechanically.

Back