What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dupont Tufcoat

Cure time

2 hours to cure as a "Touch Time" at 70F sounds slow. You would need a really clean and dust free area to work in...

gil in Tucson

The large number and various types of new coatings coming out can be confusing so you really have to study the P-sheets to figure out what's really different about a product like this.
For this one, you learn all you need to know on the first page:

Tufcote? 3.5 HG-NI? is a high gloss, isocyanate-free, three component, VOC conforming (3.5 lbs./gal.) polyacryl
anhydride based on patented DuPont technology. The resulting highly durable finish delivers performance
comparable to DuPont Imron? 3.5 HG? and competitive polyurethane coatings.

What you're being told here are two simple things. First, that this paint is isocyanate-free and "VOC conforming", and second, that it is "comparable" to Imron and other polyurethane coatings.

So the reason this paint exists is primarily to meet government regs on pollution and safety. Since it's overall performance is only touted as "comparable" to Imron etc., then this paint is a regulatory inspired product rather than a quality induced product.
The other performance characteristics listed for this paint do not appear to be any huge reason to use it over the urethanes currently available.
And yea, 2 hours tack time.. what's with that? That tells me that someone who has little experience with paint application will have a heckuva time getting a good finish with it.

Since I wouldn't spray ANY kind of paint, even water based house paint, without a respirator, I don't get too concerned about the carcinogenic qualities of paints anyway.
(As an aside: The most logical reason, I'm told, is that my recent diagnosis of Leukemia likely came from 25 years of working in the auto paint business and therefore frequent exposure to benzene. But if it took 25 YEARS to do that, I wouldn't get too worked up about a wiff of paint fumes once in a while when you paint your RV.)

The bottom line is that the urethanes available now are still the simplest to use, best performing, most durable, and reasonably safe (if used correctly).

But then, this IS all about "experimentation", isn't it. :)

Back