What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C L-60 Alternator Cross Reference Part Number?

Glas467

Well Known Member
I went to have my B&C L-60 alternator tested at AutoZone today ... thinking its a simple plug and test (last time I had one tested it was!).

Now the alternator testors at the major auto parts places are all computerized, they have to have a year/make/model car in order to work and test the alternator.

I'm thinking a search will start with identifying which model of the Nippon Denso alternator B&C used to build the L-60.

Anyone know the ND or equivalent part number for the B&C L-60?

By the way, the L-60 is a 12V, 60A, externally regulated alternator.

B&C L-60 Alternator update

Update: I found an older gentleman who was familiar with ND alternators at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. He worked to find a similar ND alternator and found that the unit on a 1986 Suzuki Samurai was nearly identical and had the same type of plug configuration. Using that information plugged into the alternator tester, the test was "successful" in showing that the alternator was non-functional. The field coil resistance is supposed to be 3-10 ohms, on this alternator is was between 28 and 130 ohms indicating excessive wear internal to the alternator.

A call and talking to tech support at B&C confirmed the troubleshooting numbers I had already found using their checklist pointed to a bad alternator, and confirmed that the high resistance of the alt field means a problem likely with the brushes and/or stator worn excessively.

FYI, the L-60 alternator I have was installed in 1994 and has almost 900 hours on it.

B&C tech said parts for the L-60 are getting more scarce, but they still offer a flat rate $350 overhaul while their part supply lasts. With 2 way insured shipping, cost was going to be about $420 with a week to 10 days turn around ... means I would not be able to fly to Oshkosh.

The new B&C replacement complete kit is $525 (Aircraft Spruce). I elected to go with the new and it will be here on the 16th ... still in time to get everything done and test flown prior to leaving for OSH, yay!

The new replacement is model BC460H, somewhat smaller in size than the L-60 and weighs 1.2 pounds less, full info is here https://bandc.com/product/alternator-60-amps-homebuilt/

Have you opened it up and looked at the brushes and com? I just put new brushes in mine and cleaned the com. The brushes were still good but showed a bunch of wear for the 350 hours I had on it. Brushes were about 5 bucks for a pair from the local NAPA.

I'd be interested to see what the back of your alt looks like with the back cover removed. I might like to purchase it for parts. Can you post a picture?

Back