What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to stay in New Orleans

dan

Well Known Member
I'm flying Jen to New Orleans for her birthday in April, and I'm looking for a recommendation for a hotel. We're on a bit of a budget, so we can't afford 5-star rates, but we're able to splurge a little if it's a must-do.

Also, where's the best airport to tie down/hangar for a few days and refuel? MSY or NEW or other?

We lean toward the white trash side of the fence as opposed to being all cultured and into fine arts. Any recommendation on stuff to do that might appeal to uncultured folks like us would be much appreciated. Places to eat, drink & relax, that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance,
)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

We used priceline a couple of years ago and got a great room in the french quarters. You pick the quality of hotel and how much you pay. Good luck and have fun!!

New Orleans

Two Jacques (off of Jackson Square) is great for gumbo and New Orleans style Cajun food and is fairly reasonable in price. The open air market across the street has wonderful chicory coffee and pastries. Antoines (also in the Quarter) is still my favorite place for dinner. It's a little run down but still quite elegant and not too touristy. Try the Oysters Rockefellor or the beef tournadors or anything for that matter. Brennans used to have the best breakfasts. Don't pass up trying the mudbugs (crawfish) at any little bar in the Quarter.

For after dinner entertainment you might like Pat O'Brians (also in the Quarter), home of the original Hurricane (a potent drink). The entertainment is two old broads playing piano and belting out oldies and school fight songs and an old man thumping out percussion using a tin tray sprinkled with nickels. Of course you all sing along. Ya'll come, ya hear!

Tom Coggin RV-6 (Enjoy your site, thanks)

Dan, I was there last month for Mardi Gras. I stayed on Bourbon at "The Inn on Bourbon" It was nice, noisy and priced for location. My farorite place to stay is the Hilton on the River. Rooms last time around $150.00?? If you stay ther ask for a room up high with a good view of the river. It is a short walk to the Quarter. Here is a link.
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/...LEPWYSREDMCSGBIVM22QKIYFC3UUC?ctyhocn=MSYNHHH
I don't know if Jen would like this but I bet you would. You have to go to the D-Day Museum.
The last time I flew down there I went into Lakefront(NEW). You can walk from your hotel to the French Market for Beignets and coffee in the morning at Cafe DuMonde. http://www.cafedumonde.com/main.html
All of this is real close to (New) Lakefront. It is a cool airport with a lot of history right Lake
pontchartrain. Y'all can spend all day just walking around the Quarter. There are a lot of good places to eat. Let us know how it goes.
John

New Orleans

I wouldn't consider myself an expert on N'awlins, but I have been there a few times. The French Quarter is nice and you should take Jen there, but you can also consider the Garden district which is just southwest of downtown. Our daughter and her husband recently stayed in a bed'n breakfast in the Garden District, and they really enjoyed it. Not too expensive (they were definitely on a budget) but the lady played a harp while they ate breakfast! Also, the street car runs right down the middle of St. Charles, which makes it easy to commute to Jackson Square, the French Quarter, etc. You don't want to depend on your car (personal or rental) to get around in downtown N'awlins. You can see a lot by walking. April should be a great time to be there...not too hot, not too cool, and the flowers and trees should be blooming. Sorry I can't give you the exact name of the b'n b, but a Google search should help. Have fun...and when you eat, don't forget to ask for some lagniappe!
Don Hull
P.S. I contacted my daughter and they stayed at the Audobon House.

Last edited:
N'Awlins

I'd go to NEW rather than MSY, closer to town, cheaper cab ride - check Airnav for how the FBOs are treating their customers recently. I used the FBO by 18 threashold last April, it was OK, gas was cheaper than the other place. Cab into town was not too expensive - don't get a rental car, everywhere is within walking distance and the parking charges are awful ($25 per day). I would stay close to Bourbon Street, but not on it as its loud all night long. I've stayed in a couple of the chain hotels in that area, you get what you pay for.

We enjoyed just walking around the French Quarter and looking around some of the smaller shops during the day.

Pete

I second the garden district

You might try the Prytania Park in the Garden District; I stayed there many times, though when last there it didn't seem as nice as it used to. Breakfast included, I think.

My wife & I really enjoyed the walking tour of the garden district & the cemetaries...not spooky but interesting. Dday museum was great for me, grueling for her.

Also, pretty much anywhere in N.O. after dark: take a cab, don't walk. It just ain't safe.

Have fun.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info everybody. A day or so after I posted the inquiry I booked a room at the Iberville Suites in the French Quarter. Thanks for all the tips on what to do and where to eat & stuff.

I'll be flying into NEW -- appreciate the tips there, too. Got my New Orleans terminal area chart and south/southeast IFR charts in the mail today. Just need to kill time for another few weeks...looking forward to this trip!

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Back