What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot Disconnect Stuck

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

Today after re-installing my Skyview back in the aircraft after the winter ( Don,t fly in the winter) once I powered up the system I got a caution saying '' Autopilot Disconnect Stuck''....

I don't have an autopilot disconnect switch as such on a stick grip for example ( will soon ) but I have installed as suggested a remote ON/OFF switch I could use to turn the Autopilot servos OFF if required...

Could this switch be ''stuck'' in an open position and I'm getting this warning because of that??

Thank you for your imputs

Bruno

The AP Disconnect is the yellow wire coming from the servos. That gets ground to disconnect or to use the CWS function. It is just supposed to be a momentary button. If that wire is not connected to anything by/at the servo, it is possible that the loose wire is touching ground, but I think in the Auto Pilot Calibration you are required to push the disconnect switch. There should be a disconnect switch somewhere, but a wire being pinched and grounded somewhere would do the same thing. The auto pilot on/off switch would not give you this error unless that is wired to the yellow wire on the servos, which it shouldn't be.

Hi Pat & Jesse

Thank you for the info

Today I bought another switch to replace the one I have installed just to check if it is the switch causing this caution and after removing the switch from the panel ( still wired) and updating the software ( probably nothing to do with the caution) I turned the Skyview back ''ON'' and the caution was gone...

Did this a couple times with no recurrence....Re-installed the switch back in the panel and guess what...On the next power up the caution was back...so I think somehow the switch goes to ground...?? I wiggle the wires just to see if the caution wil go away due to a short somewhere but it stayed on..

So tomorrow I will replace the switch just to see if it is the cause and will also check the wiring to see if it might be a factor...

Will report back the results..

Thanks again

Bruno

Last edited:
One easy thing to check: The part # for the switch you installed is a NO switch, not NC. If it is a NC switch that'd explain it.

Hi Gents

Well today the plan was to replace the switch (ON/OFF Type) with a (ON/Momentary OFF ) type switch but I couldn't find one so here's what I did.

I remove the switch and sure enough, the caution went away..:confused:.. Weird as it worked fine for 5 years..

So I checked the switch (2 poles type ) to see if it was ground somehow but it worked as advertised.

So I checked the yellow wire to see if it was cut/ grounded somewhere but couldn't see any defects anywhere so I'm also stuck..

One question : A friend asked me if the switch ( CWS, A/P Disconnect ) normally connected to the yellow wired was ground or powered and if powered what is the voltage ( I would assume 12 Volts ) Does that means anything to you...Any idea ??

I could send you guys a picture of my old panel where you can see the switch if it helps...

The A/P Panel is working just fine though...

I do appreciate all the help you guys are providing..

Thanks

Bruno

Last edited:
The CWS/AP Disconnect switch simply ground the yellow wire when you press it. There is no power involved. The switch should be a Normally Open, Momentary Close type - most just use a miniature push-button. One side goes to the yellow wire, the other to ground. That's it.

AUTOPILOT DISCONNECT STUCK

Thanks you for the info Paul, much appreciated..

That's the type of switch I was planning to install today but couldn't find one around here..

I will be installing an Infinity stick grip in the next few weeks so that should take care of that.

Cheers

Bruno

Last edited:
You should be able to find a momentary on switch somewhere, even if just a push button style. It is possible that your switch is grounded to the case for some reason, so it grounds when you attach it to the panel. Try switching the 2 wires in the back and see if that fixes it. It's possible one pole is grounded to the case and the other isn't, so when you let it hang there is no ground, but when attached to the panel it grounds that pole.

Yes, the infinity grip will fix that.

Hi Jesse

That is a possibility I looked at yesterday.

I checked with a Ohm Meter if there was continuity between the switch body and each pole in sequence and there were none so I assume the switch is fine. I also tried it with a new switch with the same results.

I looked at the yellow wire carefully to see if there was any cuts or else that will cause to go it to ground but I couldn't find any.

My plan so far is to cut the yellow wire close to the servo and replace it with a new one getting ride of any potential ground in the process...

Will report back the result..

Thanks again for the help.

Bruno

My plan so far is to cut the yellow wire close to the servo and replace it with a new one getting ride of any potential ground in the process...

Problem goes away every time you remove the switch from the circuit, but returns when you put the switch back, right?

Sounds like the switch is the problem to me...

Well I tried it with different switches with the same result..

I tried to find any cut or sharp bend in the yellow wire but couldn't so I just removed the switch, secure the wire and will get back to it when I install my Infinity Stick Grip..

Bruno

The switch has two wires, a yellow wire and a second wire. What does that second wire connect to?
The SkyView installation manual states,
"1. A CAUTION message is displayed: AP DISCONNECT STUCK, and
2. The Autopilot (AP) cannot be engaged for the remainder of the time SkyView is operational (will be checked again at next bootup)."
That statement contradicts post 7 above,
"The A/P Panel is working just fine though..."
There could be some kind of a wiring error.

AP DISCONNECT STUCK

Hi Joe

Well I finally give up...at least for a while..

I simply removed the switch, rolled the yellow wire in a bundle, rebooted the Skyview and the warning was gone..

So I left it at that and went flying and the autopilot worked just fine and no caution message.

I will get back to fixing it when I install my new Infinity stick grip..

I tried different switches with the same results..Weird..

Bruno

Back