What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator anomaly. It will not drain?

The boost pump needs to be on or you will barely get a trickle out of it. Despite the tanks being vented I don't believe there is enough head pressure to get much flow out of the small drain without turning on the boost pump.

Chris

check your checklist?

Hi William,
if it's not already on there, add this item to your checklist.
( master - on, fuel pump - on, sump gascolator, FP - off, master - off)

.....trust me, it will save you time in the long run!

Hi William,
if it's not already on there, add this item to your checklist.
( master - on, fuel pump - on, sump gascolator, FP - off, master - off)

.....trust me, it will save you time in the long run!

Agreed. Also, it will confirm functioning of your boost pump, as mine failed and I did not initially realize it as it was making noise still. I will confess to not always sumping the gascolator (I may work on a way to do that with cowl on), however I do check for fuel pressure with the boost pump on and before starting the engine.

Chris

I found that if you left the boost pump on while checking the gascolator too much pressure splashed fuel out making a mess. If you turn the boost pump on for about three seconds or so and turn it off then check the gascolator you will get a good sample and it just flows out like a normal high wing gravity feed plane.

Dang, I always wondered about the trickle I kept getting out of the gascolator when I sumped it but I never asked the question. I'm glad somebody else did!

Back