What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

From slider to tip up?

MikeyDale

Well Known Member
I am working on a quickbuild 7 slider. I bought the project at a good price but I would have chosen the Tip Up canopy if I would of had the choice. (I dont want to spark a tip up verses slider debate because I have read all of them). I have not started the canopy yet and my top forward skin is not installed. I may have an opportunity to trade canopies with another builder that would like to go the other way. I have looked at the plans and I dont believe this would be a huge problem. Can anyone tell me if I'm headed for trouble? Thanks for any advice or info.

Panel support structure is very different. Don't use slider panel structure for tip-up. It does not give proper support to the hinge blocks. If that part is not in, it is easy to get the right parts and move forward. Skin over the panel is different.
Top forward skin of the rear fuselage is different. The fabrication in corners where the seat back support meets the side rails is different. (In this case the supplied parts are the same but the builder fabricates the differences on install). I think this last thing is the most PITA but still doable if you can drill out rivets well.

I think that covers the items you may have to remove and change if already installed. There are other items you will have to get of course, such as tip up frame, side rails, side rail skin, roll bar, roll bar support, pivot blocks and pivot pin actuator system.

Call Jay Pratt

Mike,

Call Jay or if you know someone that has built both projects.
Jay has and can probably tell you what you need and give you part numbers.
It is doable.

Good luck.

Boomer

Thanks for the help everyone. I just unboxed my canopy and realized it has been cut for the slider already. Maybe thats the good Lord telling me I would be happier with a slider in the long run. I do live in West Texas where the wind blows 9 months out of the year.

Back