What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12is - Propeller Spinner Installation

richpezz

Before drilling my nose spinner for a RV12is, I want to ensure I understand the process / procedures.

I am unclear if you begin by tapping / creating threads in the forward bracket S-1203-1. Is this used for temporary screws to hold the spinner in place?

OR

Do you match drill #30 and cleco?

Section 5-18 appears to provide conflicting information.

Hi Rich,

According to Step 1 on Page 47iS/U-06 you match drill #30 and cleco.
What makes this section tricky is you have to do the Magnet technique for drilling opaque fiberglass parts in Section 5.18. Read it carefully. My first time (with the wheel pants) I missed the step where you put magnets on both sides to align their polarity before you tape the magnets on the backside of S-1203-1 in place and remove the front magnets. Do this before you center the spinner with ruler and step ladder on page 5. Then once it's perfect, put your outer magnets over the nylon washers, tape in place, remove the outer magnets, and mark the inside of the washers. Then do step 1 on page 6 - match drill #30 and cleco.

The page 6 instructions are a holdover from when they supplied translucent fiberglass. Since Van's now supplies opaque fiberglass which require the magnet technique, it would be nice if Vans updated the instructions to incorporate the magnet steps into the steps on page 6

After all your holes are drilled, you will final drill the holes in S-1201 through S-1202 and S-1203, remove S1201 and rivet the nutplates onto S-1202 and S1203.

Also, there is a typo in Step 3: the second sentence should read "match drill #30 the screw holes from the S-1201 into the S-1202 ....." rather than the opposite. Good luck

Patrick

Last edited:
Back