What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove gear

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
RV Central
We recently had a new RV8 certified here by Mel. It has Grove gear!, [air foil shape]. I am hoping to fly it soon. It came out light. I hope this airplane will be a little better.?? if that is possible??? 180 hp, carb, ECI Engine

Grove Gear

I have the Grove Aluminum Airfoil gear on my 8 and love it. Looks great and has a good feel to it as well.

Mike
Austin, TX
N678SR RV-8

I installed single-piece gear on mine....non-airfoil...modified the belly skins to accept it. According to Robbie at Grove, this really strengthens the gear structure. It's 10 lbs lighter than the two-piece Van's gear. Piece of cake to install, and no worries about alignment. I can't tell any difference in the flex during taxi or landing.

One Piece Gear

Doug,

This is interesting. I didn't know they made a 1 piece gear for the RV-8. Do you have any pictures?

Grove Gear

I'm curious. How much more do you end up spending on the Grove gear after factoring in the savings for not ordering the Van's gear legs and associated parts. I couldn't find a price for the U-801 gear legs in the Van's parts list.

Craig Schwartz
Wing Kit
N868RV reserved

First Flight

Robert Helms form Amarillo, Texas Built the RV 8 with the Grove airfoil gear here.
We did its first flight yesterday. This 180 hp, carb, ECI. Weighed 1060 lbs. It is really nice to fly a light one. They said it looked fast from the ground.

Last edited:
Grove gear installed on an RV8

alame said:
looks like Cessna gear, but for an RV, anybody got pics of the gear installed?

I just so happen to have installed my gear yesterday. There is an article on my home page.

Back