What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Quickbuild: Which tools are NOT needed?

grayforge

Well Known Member
Did a search on this, but surprisingly didn't find anything on this specific subject...

I was wondering, among the many Tool Kits offered by the RV tool houses, which ones, if any, aren't actually needed on an RV-7A Quickbuild kit? To review a typical RV tool kit, I've pasted a list below.

Another Data Point: I'll likely build the tail at a local RV Training shop during their advanced course.

Thanks!
Russ

This list is a slightly modified Avery list for the RVs:

3X RIVET GUN
BEEHIVE SPRING
QUICK CHANGE SPRING
AIR TOOL REGULATOR
1/4" AIR DRILL
AIR TOOL OIL
DRDT-2 OR HAMMER OPERATED C FRAME DIMPLER
3" HAND OR PNEUMATIC SQUEEZER
6 PC. SQUEEZER SET MIX
DIMPLE DIE KIT
3/32" POP RIVET DIMPLER
3/32" VISE GRIP DIMPLER
TUNGSTON BUCKING BAR
VARIOUS STEEL BUCKING BARS
1/8" RIVET SET
1/8" DOUBLE OFFSET RIVET SET
FLUSH SWIVEL RIVET SET
BACK RIVET SET
FLUTING PLIER
HAND SEAMER
ANGLE DRILL
C'SINK CAGE AND CUTTERS
#10 SCREW DIMPLER
SHARPIES
FLEXIBLE STEEL RULE
RIVET GAUGE SET
SPEED DEBURRING TOOL
ROYAL MULTI-BURR TOOL
DOUBLE EDGE DEBURRING TOOL
OFFSET SNIPS - LEFT
OFFSET SNIPS - RIGHT
6" S/BRITE CUT & POLISH WHEEL
VIXEN FILE
3/32" DRIVE PIN PUNCH
1/8" DRIVE PIN PUNCH
SWIVEL HEAD POP RIVET TOOL
A/C STRUCTURAL TECHNICIAN BOOK
STANDARD AIRCRAFT HANDBOOK
EMERY CLOTH ROLL
SCOTCH-BRITE 5 HAND PADS MAROON
CLECO PLIER
3/32" CLECOS (325 PCS)
1/8" CLECOS (175 PCS)
5/32" CLECOS (10 PCS)
3/16" CLECOS (12 PCS)
1/2" X 1/2" SIDE GRIPS (10 PCS)
1/2" X 1" SIDE GRIPS (10 PCS)
EDGE ROLLING TOOL
BACK RIVETING PLATE
S/BRITE WHEEL KIT
UNIBIT #3 1/4" to 3/4"
RIVETING TAPE
#40 COBALT DRILLS (4 pack)
#30 COBALT DRILLS (3 pack)
#21 COBALT DRILLS (3 pack)
#27 COBALT DRILLS (3 pack)
#19 COBALT DRILLS (2 pack)
#12 COBALT DRILLS (2 pack)
1/4" COBALT DRILL (1 PC)
#40 X 12" EXTENSION DRILL
#30 X 12" EXTENSION DRILL
4 PC DRILL STOP SET*

That list pretty well sums it up. On my QB 7, I used all of those things EXCEPT:

no DRDT-2 dimpler
no pneumatic squeezer
used probably only 1/2 that number of each size of clecos
no tungsten bucking bar

I did not see rivet spacing fan on the list, but used one often.

I would love to hear feedback, from quickbuild builders who are completed, on my answer so that I can validate what has been my advise for years now.

You only need half the 3/32 and 1/8" clekos.

Use 2X gun rather than 3X if you are doing the QB as the long 1/8" rivets are already done.

If you have the tail done and doing the QB there might not be reason to have the backrivet plate, set, and tape.

If you have the tungsten bar you don't need the steel ones except for one time area where any chunk of steel ground to fit will work.

You don't need the vise grip dies or edge former if you are finished with the tail and doing the QB kit.

Borrow a C-frame, you will only have one skin to do.

I'm sure you'll use all of them (as well as many more) just not as much as someone doing a standard build.

Excellent point Jim! Any excuse for more tools.

Mike, that's great info! So no C-Frame... Are there plenty of rivets left to do in a QB kit to make an SHPS squeezer useful?

Thanks,
Russ

Tools Not Needed for Quickbuild

I am done with the sheet metal with my 9a. IMHO,between the tail kit and the four skins I think you will find it useful to have a c frame tool(borrowed or bought). Also if I only had 1 bucking bar it would be the Tungsten! It is very nice putting on the wing skins especially if you are doing any of it, or any riveting, by yourself.This bar works on the 7 wings as well I have helped build 2 sets of those.
Terry

On the C-Frame front... I already started building a DRDT-2 and was planning to mount a SHPS head to it. I'll go ahead and finish the DRDT-2 and just mount the normal dimpler mechanism on it. Then sell the unit when done. This one is being built with 1/4" wall rectangular tubing instead of 3/16 so it's capable of riveting too. :)

On the C-Frame front... I already started building a DRDT-2 and was planning to mount a SHPS head to it. I'll go ahead and finish the DRDT-2 and just mount the normal dimpler mechanism on it. Then sell the unit when done. This one is being built with 1/4" wall rectangular tubing instead of 3/16 so it's capable of riveting too. :) Are there plenty of rivets left to do in a QB kit to make an SHPS squeezer useful?

Russ,

Here is the thing, good tools are a joy to use and worth the price. Some people can afford to go all out, some scrimp by with the minimum. I always buy the best I can afford, and when I break that rule I am ALWAYS disappointed.

That said I have tipped back and forth on hand squeezer vs. pneumatic on the quick build for years. I hope several real quickbuilders can jump in and give their opinions. Any squeezer is used for riveting but in reality it is mainly used for dimpling, doing half of the dimples on the aircraft (the entire substructure) on the quickbuild that is factory done. You will use the squeezer for riveting, it is just a tradeoff on hand, pneumatic, or HPRS. All three are very resellable and, if you can part with it when you are done, you will come out with a very reasonable "cost of use".

Since you are building the DRDT style frame, my money would go into the HPRS system with squeezer, DRDT head, and quick disconnects. You will be able to get your money back on the system if you throw in the frame. If it doesn't sell for that on here I will take the deal, as I know I can find it a home. We do have a buyback on the hand and pneumatic versions as well, but I can't get anyone to do it!

I agree that the right tools make the job go much more smoothly. I always say that the secret to doing a good job on anything is a combination of the right Technique and the right Tool.

I'm leaning towards the HPRS Intensifier and hand squeezer and can add the DRDT-2 Head unit & Quick Disconnects later when I see how much I'll use the DRDT-2.

Thanks!
Russ

You still need an edge rolling tool.

4 pack of #30 and # 40 drills will get your through part of the build. Need more.
Dimple dies for a rivet puller are great tools.
Small files
Nibbler
Smaller size uni bit
Snake drive for drill was handy
Hole cutters
Suggest you buy a minimum of 2 countersink tools. You will save a lot time not changing bits and resetting the depth. Also reduce the chance for errors.
I personnaly don't care for an air drill. I only used mine several times when an electric or battery drill wouldn't fit in the space. You will use your drill most days which means you will need your compressor most days. With an electric drill, I only needed to charge my compressor when using the riveting gun which is much less often.
Next, you need wiring tools which will get lots of use over and extended time
tube bending tools can usually be borrowed because you will only need the for short periods of time

Jekyll, 7A QB

I still use my pneumatic occasionally, for example installing pitch servo bracket, years after the plane was "done". Could you do without it? Sure but it's more fun with it and makes some darn near impossible jobs for one person doable.

Back