What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Order of build question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I think I am ready to hang my engine. I have just finished the fiberglass part around the windshield but have not fitted the landing gear leg and wheel fairings. I have held off of these with the idea that they would be in the way and under foot while I was walking around the plane 500 times working on the firewall forward stuff. My question is will there be any problem putting these items on after the engine and cowling stuff such as will the CG be ok without the wings installed so I can elevate the tail to flight attitude to install the fairings?
Thanks!

Last edited:
You have the top forward skin installed before the engine?

I suggest hanging the engine before installing the leg fairings and and wheelpants.

Charles, You are in exactly the same place as I am right now.

I have the plane elevated (sans engine) and AM working on the fairings and wheelpants because the fuse is easier to lift and orient in a flight attitude without the 300 lbs of engine hindering the process.

I will take the plastic stuff off and store them until after the first flight just to keep them from being in the way.

You are right. No need to have them installed now but there will never be a better time to fit them than the present.

:) CJ

Back