What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New nose gear fairing brackets & old kit

Jekyll

Well Known Member
Just did my nose gear fairing on my 7A using the new brackets but with the pevious edition of drawings and instructions. I researched the forums and was still scratching my head trying to figure out how to put it all together. People were talking about a 7/8 in block on top of the tire which my instructions and plans didn't mention. I read the old instructions which called for no block, with the aft fairing located by using a 3/8in shaft through the molded in dimples and the axle holes in the fork. I had an epiphany and realized how to use the dimples to make it work with the new style brackets.

I drilled the dimples to a size that snugly fit a 3/8 drive ratchet extension. I installed the brackets on the fork with the fork and tire installed on the plane and then put a piece of tape over the axle nut and bolt head to tightly hold a 9/16 socket on each side. It was then a simple matter to slide-on the aft fairing and put the ratchet extensions through the holes into the sockets. This perfectly located the fairing in the proper position fore and aft and vertically. It took me all of 5 minutes to align the fairing horizontally and drill it to the brackets. It ended up being one of the easier things on the whole mess of landing gear fairings. I took several pictures of the process and can post them later in case anyone is facing the same problem and needs an easy solution.

Jekyll
7A

Back