What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI Cylinder SB O-320, O-360

Hi Pete,

It has been raised but as far a I am aware there was no follow up discussion. My Aerosport 0-320 with Titan cylinders, shipped during Nov. 2005 falls into Group A. :(

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Bummer but ECI handling it well

Bummer, after seeing this thread this morning I grabbed the engine log for my O-360-A1A rebuild. I am probably within two months of the first flight of my RV-7A and sure enough, one of my cylinders is on the A list. The engine only has the two hour test stand run on it :-(

Just got off the phone with ECI. They are going to swap out the cylinder for me under warranty. Stuff happens but they were VERY helpful and courteous on the phone and didn't hesitate to do what I think was the right thing in my case. Sure I have to swap out the cylinder but we are experimental so it really is just a couple of hours. In my book ECI gets two atta-boys for how they handled my situation.

I called my Mattituck for my serial numbers and was informed 3 of mine are in group A. They didn't record the 4th serial number and it's one of the hidden ones. I'll need to pull the cylinder if I need to get the serial number. Not yet flown on the engine and I've received 2 grounding ADs!

Jekyll

I called my Mattituck for my serial numbers and was informed 3 of mine are in group A. They didn't record the 4th serial number and it's one of the hidden ones. I'll need to pull the cylinder if I need to get the serial number.

Jekyll
No need to pull the cylinder to see the serial#. I was able to read all numbers on all the cylinders- just. For two of the cylinders you may have to move the baffle out of the way. The other two are more difficult. I was able to read the # by shining a torch between the fins on the adjacent cylinder on to the area where the serial # should be. I found the numbers were easier to read if the torch was shone from a lower angle rather than more directly above the numbers. I used a small LED torch. I don't know if this was better for the purpose than a conventional torch. Wear your reading glasses. Good luck.

Fin
9A Flying

If you are in group A how is it grounding? As I read it, you inspect it at 350 hours, and if okay fly it till 2000 with periodic compression checks.

Did I correctly hear that ECI replaced your cylinders which were in Group A?

I missquoted the SB. We actually have 10 hours if in Group B.

Finley: I couldn't get to the serno on #1 so I tried your recommendation and I think I got it OK. THANKS.

Also I verified with the builder and they gave me the date ECI shipped the cylinder which puts it in group A. Now I can wait for 350 hours.

If I read this correctly, Group A cyclinders require a visual inspection and a compression check EVERY 50 HOURS after reaching 350 hours. Also, the cylinders now have a hard life now of 2000 hours versus a recommended TBO. Can't fly this engine past TBO no matter how strong it may be at the time.

Jekyll

Last edited:
My group A cylinders...

ECI offered to warranty replace all 4 of my group A cylinders in the Piper, which have only 42 hours on them. For $500 bucks a piece:eek: with no allowance for labor. How generous of them!
I now have the O-320 for the RV9 to build, and you can bet it won't have ECI **** on it!

Percentages

If my math is right you're looking at 3/10 of one percent failure rate.....
I don't think that's too bad in the Experimental world. Lycoming and Continental have been putting out products with falult that the FAA has enforced the repairs thereof for many years, at the buyers expense also. I just stopped counting AD's on Lycomings at over 200 and stopped at the O-320's. Some were minor, some were huge.
EI's can be much worse and some guys insist on two of them!

Back