VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-26-2018, 09:15 AM

Default Garmin G5 CAN bus protocol

I recently did an upgrade installing two G5's, a GMU-11, and a Val avionics Nav 2000 which talks to the two G5's nicely via RS-232. Only problem is the lack of extra serial ports to hook up legacy GPS's. Curious if one could roll together a LRU with an Arduino on the CAN bus to add additional inputs to the G5's that would be menu selectable. Sort of like the GAD29 but to be able to switch to an NMEA source via the CAN bus adapter I would make. Is it possible to get the Garmin CAN bus protocol docs to do something like this?

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
I recently did an upgrade installing two G5's, a GMU-11, and a Val avionics Nav 2000 which talks to the two G5's nicely via RS-232. Only problem is the lack of extra serial ports to hook up legacy GPS's. Curious if one could roll together a LRU with an Arduino on the CAN bus to add additional inputs to the G5's that would be menu selectable. Sort of like the GAD29 but to be able to switch to an NMEA source via the CAN bus adapter I would make. Is it possible to get the Garmin CAN bus protocol docs to do something like this?
I am afraid that would be very proprietary. Never seen that protocol in the public (or in private for that matter).
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 06-26-2018, 03:25 PM

Garmin wants you to buy the GAD429, plane and simple, so they hold their protocol cards close to their chest.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:42 PM

Default CANbus

The CAN bus is able and then some, most of my aircraft's body systems are on a twin CANbus including a few serial streams. Outside of AIRINC 825 and the older CANaero standards there isn't much defined stuff for small AC.
The impossible hill to climb however would be Garmin opening up their protocol.
IO-360-B1B

CANbus based trim/flaps and electrical
Old 08-22-2019, 08:19 AM

Default G5 CAN Bus

Hi,

I plan to install a G5 on my RV8. But I have to interface it with a KX165 for VOR signals. I plan to use an arduino for that. I can't use the serial port because I'm going to use it for another function. Have you been able to get information about the G5's CAN interface?

Regards
Hervť
Old 08-22-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Garmin wants you to buy the GAD429, plane and simple, so they hold their protocol cards close to their chest.
^^^^
yup.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
Old 08-22-2019, 06:24 PM

Default can CAN

Seized by the same curiosity as Bob, and for the same reason.

I don't believe Garmin is doing any crypto or other obfuscation on the CAN bus, though its possible. They just don't want things mucked up by civilians, so they don't publish. The RS232 protocol for the G5 nav input, for example, is rather straightforward.

Discovering the traffic on the CAN bus should be pretty straightforward as well with the right equipment. Maybe some sniffing is in order. Others of the same bent can have a look and post anything interesting.

ron

Last edited by Cumulo : 08-22-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumulo View Post
Seized by the same curiosity as Bob, and for the same reason.

I don't believe Garmin is doing any crypto or other obfuscation on the CAN bus, though its possible. They just don't want things mucked up by civilians, so they don't publish. The RS232 protocol for the G5 nav input, for example, is rather straightforward.

Discovering the traffic on the CAN bus should be pretty straightforward as well with the right equipment. Maybe some sniffing is in order. Others of the same bent can have a look and post anything interesting.

ron
Interesting discussion.

I have a Rigol MSO5104 scope (and a Saleae logic analyzer, for that matter) that I believe will decode the CAN protocol. That might be an interesting experiment, although it would obviously require buying a Garmin unit.

Not the end of the world...

TB
RV-10 #42064
Green Bay, WI
Old 08-26-2019, 12:48 AM

hello
I'm going to buy a G5 this fall. I have the possibility to use a CAN frame analyzer so I will be able to try to see if there is a similarity with the NMEA2000 or other.....
Old 08-26-2019, 01:57 AM

I have a Salae Logic and a G5. Iíll hook it up and see what type of data is coming through. Iíd love to get baro into the G5 directly from the Efis. It would be best though to check the comm between the G3x and G5. Iíll be happy to loan my logic analyzer if someone wants to do that.
OnSpeed development team