What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

glue for wing walk?

turbo

Well Known Member
i have a corner on the wing walk coming up and was wondering what kind of glue to use to fasten it back down. thanks.
sr71blackbird.gif

Anybody ever have a "significant" portion of a wingwalk blow loose on their RV? Once upon a time I had an instructor tell me that he had the front half of one come loose and stand up in the breeze on a small Grumman of some variety. It blanked out the horizontal stab and elevator on that side to the point that pitch control of the airplane was comprimised.:eek:

Shoe goo is now called E6000. You could probably glue a jump seat to the wing and take passengers up with that stuff. It is available in Walmart in the crafts section and in other craft stores.

Jekyll
7A

YEARS ago, I had a small corner start to lift. Less then 1/8". I used a SUPER GLUE like product made in Germany that I purchased at Oshkosh AirVenture from a vendor in the fly market.

Still holding and there is no sign that it was glued.

At 3800 hrs I think you should have to buy new ones. :D

Just kidding. I recently installed mine for the first time and I thought I remember the directions also recommending CA glue for corner problems.

At 3800 hrs I think you should have to buy new ones. :D

Just kidding. I recently installed mine for the first time and I thought I remember the directions also recommending CA glue for corner problems.

what is CA glue?

Ed,
Try plain old contact cement. Apply thin coat to both clean surfaces, let dry thoroughly, press together. Clean excess of of wing with mineral spirits.
If you ever remove the old wingwalks this will clean up readily.
Woodman

Bondwel Glue

The guy at SNF sells Bondwel glue. It's worth having in the shop or home although it is pricey.

It bonds nearly everything, including ABS plastic. This stuff is like "Super" superglue

http://www.bondwelglue.com/

Don

(Maybe by plugging him I can get a discount this year)

Don

3M sells "Safety-Walk" which is self adhesive wing walk. They also sell what they call "edge sealer". This seals the edges of the wing walk to keep it from lifting in the first place. Usually run a tape line about a 1/16" off the edge, apply edge sealer, and remove tape to get a nice clean line.

hey buzz.........

thanks for the info, especially taping the edge, you got any of that stuff. your right in my back yard. you gota rv? aero acres? like the name buzz too.
att2197443.gif

Back