What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire marking

I use the Dymo RHino Pro 50000:
http://www.labelcity.com/rhinopro/rhinopro5000.shtml

You can hunt around for the best price.

Get the fleixble white nylon tape. Almost indestructible. THe Dymo has a nice feature where the print is repeated multiple times so when you wrap it around the wire it is visible from any angle.

A lot of people using a numbering code for their labels. I dispensed with any code and just labeled each end of the wire with the source and destination,abbreviating as necessary.

erich

I print a code such as the function and pin number using 6 font then, cut them out, and apply them to the wire using small, clear heat shrink. Works well and is inexpensive.

Jekyll

I print a code such as the function and pin number using 6 font then, cut them out, and apply them to the wire using small, clear heat shrink. Works well and is inexpensive.

Jekyll

Yes... just like this... a 20 gage wire example

wire-label-20-g.jpg

Expensive but very very nice.

K-Sun 2001 XLST, purchased from Image Supply for around $300 bucks. Prints whatever you like on heatshrink tubing. Print your label, place on wire, apply heat, move on to next wire.

139_3918.jpg

139_3912.jpg

I use the Dymo RHino Pro 50000:
http://www.labelcity.com/rhinopro/rhinopro5000.shtml

You can hunt around for the best price.

Get the fleixble white nylon tape. Almost indestructible. THe Dymo has a nice feature where the print is repeated multiple times so when you wrap it around the wire it is visible from any angle.

A lot of people using a numbering code for their labels. I dispensed with any code and just labeled each end of the wire with the source and destination,abbreviating as necessary.

rich
After 6 years I have noticed that my Dymo labels are seperating. There is a clear plastic layer over the white that is seperating. If I had to do it again I would use the clear shrink tube over the labeled wire as others have suggested here.

I used a brother (model?) label machine that I got from Staples. There are many brands and models that are similar with similar label tape. However, the labels are heat sensitive. I used heat shrink over them and it would turn the entire label dark or black depending on how much heat was applied. I just learned to be careful with the heat application. However, after 3 years many of the labels have faded to the point that they are unreadable. I even have some labels that I did not cover with heat shrink and they have faded as well.

If I had to do it again, I would just buy a label maker for heat shrink tubing. It would have saved me a lot of time (cutting all those labels then adding heat shrink tubing got old fast) and my labels would still be readable. I'm sure I could have sold the label maker to the next builder to recoup some of the expense, but I probably would have just kept it.

Greg

I used a brother (model?) label machine that I got from Staples. There are many brands and models that are similar with similar label tape. However, the labels are heat sensitive. I used heat shrink over them and it would turn the entire label dark or black depending on how much heat was applied. I just learned to be careful with the heat application. However, after 3 years many of the labels have faded to the point that they are unreadable. I even have some labels that I did not cover with heat shrink and they have faded as well.

If I had to do it again, I would just buy a label maker for heat shrink tubing. It would have saved me a lot of time (cutting all those labels then adding heat shrink tubing got old fast) and my labels would still be readable. I'm sure I could have sold the label maker to the next builder to recoup some of the expense, but I probably would have just kept it.

Greg

The heat shrink tubing is expensive at $30 for 60 inches -

http://www.labelcity.com/eonline/itemdesc.asp?ic=18052

...and 1/4 inch is the minumum ID available (Rinho machines) - which with a 3:1 shrink ratio, is a marginal grip on M22759/16 wire at 18 gage (0.077 - 0.081 diam.)

Good buddy of mine does panels & radios, spends $299 less than Walter, uses a fine point Sharpie marker pen and writes on flat, white shrink tubing. Steps are the same: "Print your label, place on wire, apply heat, move on to next wire." No peeling of plastic film off the labels later, either.

Shrink tubing I've used is not as pricey as Gil mentions. E.g. 19 cents/ft for 3/16" flat width, 1/8" diameter, 2:1 white tubing on 100' roll:
http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/2to1polyolefin.htm#B

Jack

The heat shrink tubing is expensive at $30 for 60 inches -

http://www.labelcity.com/eonline/itemdesc.asp?ic=18052

...and 1/4 inch is the minumum ID available (Rinho machines) - which with a 3:1 shrink ratio, is a marginal grip on M22759/16 wire at 18 gage (0.077 - 0.081 diam.)

From personal experience, the Rhino #18052/yellow (1/4"x5') does in fact work quite well on M22759/16-22 The specs for this product list wire diameters as .05/min and .09/max, and I believe MS22759/16-22 is .054. Yes, it's VERY expensive when compared to regular heat shrink and you won't find many labels on my wiring, but it's convenient, performs well, and looks great. My experience. YMMV.

Edit: corrected MS# / Shopping results $22.99 ea. >> HERE

Last edited:
From personal experience, the Rhino #18052/yellow (1/4"x5') does in fact work quite well on M22759/22 The specs for this product list wire diameters as .05/min and .09/max, and I believe MS22759/22 is .054. Yes, it's VERY expensive when compared to regular heat shrink and you won't find many labels on my wiring, but it's convenient, performs well, and looks great. My experience. YMMV.

Thanks... the 0.05 - 0.09 spec. is better than a 3:1 shink ratio - makes it much more useful for us...:)

Yes, 22 gage is 0.050 to .054 diameter for M22759/16 wire.

Last edited:
At work I have a Brady IDPAL, they just replaced it with a new model but you should be able to find it on the Brady site. Its made specifically to print cable labels. Use the cloth 3/4" tape, clear heat shrink on top is optional but a good idea.

Heat Shrink Wire Labels

I own a company that designs and fabricates control systems for automated industrial machinery. For this purpose, I have a pretty fancy, high quality printing system that can print all kinds of labels including heat shrink wire labels.

I am really not looking to start a business here, but if it helps out the RV community, I can print the wire labels and ship them to you for a reasonable price. Don't quote me on this yet, but I think that a standard length (30mm) black print on white heat shrink label to fit 18-16 ga. wire would be about 40 cents each. Let me know if there is interest, and I will post some sample pictures and pricing. The equipment that I have prints the labels from a continuous spool of heat shrink, and perforates each one so you can just yank them off one at a time when you are ready to use them. It will print labels for any gauge wire.

Last edited:
On my new 7 I made a spread sheet of the wire I'd need. Everything from the trim servo wire to lighting. I had all of the wires laser marked with the lettering I wanted. It is printed every 6". Very easy to run in a harness and break out to it's destination. It is a little more expensive but the cool factor and ease of use is great.

For everything behind the panel, it will be labeled as in Post #5 with clear heat shrink over the printed heat shrink.

I have the unit in the attached link. It works great and you can get 1/8" tubing. If you do the labels in a group and minimize the spacing, the waste is reduced.

http://www.imagesupply.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=909&idcategory=126

Back