What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire securement question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I need to run wires to the rear of the fuse and am looking for ideas on how to secure them. The ways that are presenting themselves at this time are in no particular order:

1 Drill holes in the in the horozontal part of a longeron and attach to that.

2 Drill holes and attach to one of the stringers.

3 Tie to the elevator trim cable. I have manual trim.

4 Just lay them loose in the floor.

Any other ideas or thoughts are welcome.
Thanks!

I used zip ties along with the little plastic base plates for attachment points that you can get at any hardware store. Peel off the stickback stuff that comes on the baseplates and glue down with shoe goo or equivalent and they wont come off.

erich

I'm going to wrap them all in spiral wrap and use the sticky-backed bases that use wire ties. If they come loose, i'll remove the adhesive backing and use proseal. I'm trying to avoid putting holes in my longerons, but I wish I'd discovered the sticky-backed things before I secured the static line to the left longeron with cable clamps and pop rivets.

Try this old school method

I decided I did not want to rely on adhesives and also wanted to be able to take a wire out without having to cut the end connector off (as you would with snap bushings). Went the old style way. I had a handful of right angle 8-32 nutplates (AN1033) that made it pretty easy.

16997981664c8d9ab587510.jpg

I decided I did not want to rely on adhesives and also wanted to be able to take a wire out without having to cut the end connector off (as you would with snap bushings). Went the old style way. I had a handful of right angle 8-32 nutplates (AN1033) that made it pretty easy.

16997981664c8d9ab587510.jpg

Oh my, this is beautiful. I used the same string tie, angle bracket, #8 fastener hardware and MS21919DG clamp method with different routing.

Bob Axsom

adel clamps

I also used Adel clamps - it was fun getting in there installing them, but I know they won't come off. I tried some plastic things with sticky tape on them and prepared the surface well, and some continued to stick, and some came off. I lost confidence in them, and I don't want anything coming loose back there.

The ty-wrap bases are useless with the supplied peel back adhesive.
Mine all came unstuck too.
I went with a similar base, but used 3M VHB double sided tape to stick it down.
That stuff will never let go.

As others have said, the sticky back bases don't stick long. Use non-sticky bases and affix with E-6000.

Tip - Removing the sticky adhesive

I've found that soaking a handful of these nylon anchors in lacquer thinner for a couple of minutes seems to work best at removing the sticky tape. After soaking, grab a corner and peel the tape off and discard, dunk the anchor once more to remove any left over adhesive, then wipe dry.

I have tried acetone, mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid, razor blades, and physically heating the anchor with varying amount of success (or failure). I don't recall trying out MEK. What else have you all found that works well?

Like others have mentioned, I've had good success w/ E-6000 industrial adhesive. I used to have difficulty finding it but later discovered that "Academy Sports and Outdoors" carried it in the marine/fishing section (IIRC).

Back