What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Delrin source?

java

Well Known Member
I find myself in need of a small piece of Delrin sheet (.0700 or 23/32nd thickness or so). I only need about 2"X2" of it. I've done some surfing and can't find any reasonably priced source... and mostly only in sizes MUCH larger than I need.

Don't suppose anyone knows of a good source, or even has a chunk lying around and needs assistance with de-cluttering their shop? ;)

Long story short... I need to make a slightly larger C-661 slide block (the one on the tab on the back bow of the slider frame) to hold the back of my canopy higher.

Interesting side note... I came across emachineshop.com awhile back. When this came up, I thought it a great chance to try it out. I downloaded their free drawing software, spent an hour teaching it to myself, more time drawing out the machined part I wanted in Delrin, and was feeling pretty proud of myself. Had it run it's automatic quote feature and it came out with something like $250:eek:! Clearly, unless you are going to do a LOT of pieces, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Very cool idea though. If you're looking for that perfect gascolator bracket, canopy handle or throttle knob for your next showplane award winner, check it out.

McMaster

This is close. 2"x12"x3/4" part number 9123K51. I'm not sure if you consider $27.67 reasonable or not though.

Delrin

I find myself in need of a small piece of Delrin sheet (.0700 or 23/32nd thickness or so). I only need about 2"X2" of it. I've done some surfing and can't find any reasonably priced source... and mostly only in sizes MUCH larger than I need.

Don't suppose anyone knows of a good source, or even has a chunk lying around and needs assistance with de-cluttering their shop? ;)

Long story short... I need to make a slightly larger C-661 slide block (the one on the tab on the back bow of the slider frame) to hold the back of my canopy higher.

Interesting side note... I came across emachineshop.com awhile back. When this came up, I thought it a great chance to try it out. I downloaded their free drawing software, spent an hour teaching it to myself, more time drawing out the machined part I wanted in Delrin, and was feeling pretty proud of myself. Had it run it's automatic quote feature and it came out with something like $250:eek:! Clearly, unless you are going to do a LOT of pieces, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Very cool idea though. If you're looking for that perfect gascolator bracket, canopy handle or throttle knob for your next showplane award winner, check it out.

Try www.onlinemetals.com
Mike H 9A/8A

I may have a chunk for you. I'll look tomorrow. Send me a PM or email with your contact info. Not sure about shipping to Canada.

bkcarroll(at)mt.net

RE:Delrin Source

I have some in various sizes.....not sure of your size but if interested let me know?

Frank @ SGU and 1L8 RV7A.....last 1001 details

Jase, I have a chunk of material big enough, but it is UHMW(not Delrin). The piece of UHMW I have is 6'x2.2"x1.7" I can chop off a piece 2x2x1.7 and drop it in the mail today...if UHMW will work. Let me know if UHMW will work for your project.

Thanks everyone...

Lot's of appreciated response to my plea.

Brian, I think UHMW would work, and admit to not really knowing the difference. A quick Wikipedia check told me that Delrin (Dupont trade name for acetal polymer) is maybe a little more tolerant of high temps (UHMW not recommended for over 80deg C... which shouldn't be a factor as a canopy slide block) and machines a little easier, but has a higher coefficient of friction than UHMW and is significantly more expensive. When you look up the block on Van's website "Delrin" is in the name of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were UHMW to be honest with you.

Anyhow, I found an eBay store that is local to me here that has a Delrin block about perfect size for me at $5, so I'll give that a go. If nothing else, I'm interested to see if it appears to be different material than what Van's sent.

Thanks again to you all.

PS. Jekyll... I thought about the cutting board (which I believe are UHMW)... even went to the kitchen to contemplate cutting a chunk off (hopefully) before SWMBO knew what I was up to. The trick might be finding one that is 0.700 or slightly more in thickness.

Back