What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lord Adhesive and Front Window

Lynnb

Well Known Member
Ok, I'm sure once I do this it will seem like I way over thought it, but when doing the front window, do you apply the adhesive to the cabin top, place the window on, then basically caulk the lower portion of the window to the forward fuselage skin, or do I need to lay a bead or so down on the skin first and kind of bed the window into it? I did find some PPG 870 reducer yesterday to help with smoothing and cleaning, I was kind of excited about that.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lord

I used the adhesive on the cabin top only. After that was cured I used a slurry of epoxy/flox to secure the edge to the skin. Then the layup for the fairing went over that.

What Electrogunner said.

If that reducer is going to come anywhere near your plexiglas, test it on a fragment of plexi first. I ruined a perfectly fitted set of wingtip light fairings thinking the solvent I cleaned them with would be OK... (Acetone for the fail.)

Thanks, I"ve been researching reducers and safe for plexi cleaners. I found several post of using the PPG 860 and 870 for smoothing the filet on the windows, but I'll do a test just to make sure. From Van's documents, Isopropyl alcohol and mineral spirits are save around the windows as well. Heck with all the Acetone and MEK I have in the garage, even without it being used near the windows, still nervous having it in the same room with them. ;)

Thanks for the info.

Lynn

Quote from Van's Document:
Cleaning And Use Of Liquids
For general cleaning use Dawn dishwashing liquid or equivalent and water followed by a clear
water rinse. To prevent water spots, blow dry with compressed air or wipe dry with soft cotton
flannel. Plexus, Sprayaway #848 Industrial Plastic Cleaner, or All Clear can also be used for day
to day cleaning. Grease, oil, tape residue, etc. may best be removed with Mineral spirits, refined
kerosene, white gasoline, naphtha, or isopropyl alcohol. Wash approved solvents off of canopy
with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. It is best to avoid using products that are not specifically
formulated for acrylics on your canopy such as Rain-X or Lemon Pledge.

Back