What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine control holes in firewall

abuura

Well Known Member
Building an RV7, TMX-O360, constant speed, and want to use "One hole spherical metal grommets" a la Checkoway for the engine controls and carb heat. Using Van's locations on DWG 19 will result in collisions between the grommets and/or very tight fit with the fuel boost pump. Van's tech moving the holes less than 1" shouldn't matter, but to be extra prudent advises hanging the engine first, installing the exhaust, and then seeing whether moving the holes will be an issue. Interested in builders' experiences with moving the holes on a normally aspirated engine.
Secondly, if I use the DWG 19 prop control hole the cable will have to pass between the two brake lines that go to the parking brake. Has anyone building a normally aspirated moved the prop control hole or simply used the hole designated for "fuel injected mixture" on the drawing?
Thanks!!
David

Almost the same setup

I have a RV7 with a carbureted TMX-O360 so I am not sure if this is quite apples to apples. I moved two of the holes .5? or so to avoid the interference with each other. I also built a large backing plate for all three cable eyeballs and the the fuel pump as well. What I did not anticipate was one eyeballs interfering with the fuel pump mounting. I made a spacer so the pump would stand off the firewall and over the eyeball. All in all it worked out well.

I can post a picture tomorrow if you think it might help.

Yes! Photo would be great. Did you use the designated prop control hole? Any issues to speak of with the prop control cable routing?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Mcfly (or others),

Are you able to post a picture per chance? I almost drilled my holes before I realized they would interfere with using the eyeball swivels. I really wanted to do EVERYTHING before I hung the engine, and I was hoping to get these knocked out.

Options:

1) Move the holes some distance (how much and what direction?) to allow both eyeball swivels to fit.
2) Wait till the engine is on to see the optimal location (don't really want to do this, but maybe it makes sense)?
3) Use the Vans method. Why again did I decide to use the eyeball swivels?

THanks for any feedback,

Scott
7A Finishing

Has anyone used the eyeball cable supports with the stock Vans penetration locations on the 0-360? I am curious what others have done with regard to location.

Thanks,
Scott

Firewall Penetrations

Can't help with any of the eyeball issues. I have a related question. tehre have been a number of articles lately inthe flying rags regarding Conti IO-550 retrofits Bonanzas and 210s. There are photos showing some sort of black sealant at each of the penetrations. Would have to be certified stuff given the STC. Anybody know what theyare using? Ugly but probably effective.

No Picture

Scott,

I looked through my project photo album last night but I could not find a picture of my set up. I'll look again since I thought I took multiple pictures.

I have a fixed prop and cannot speak about the prop cable location but the things I would look out for are:

1) Make sure your fuel pump attachment holes are clear. You can get around some interference from the eyebals with a spacer like I did but the FP attachment holes need a clear shot.

2) I made a doubler for this entire area rather than for just the fuel pump.

3) I don't think I moved any penetration point more than .75" from what the plans said.

4) The throttle cable is the most critical as far as not having much 'slack'. Try to keep that penetration point per plans. I did not know about this until I mounted the cable to the subpanel. Again I cannot speak about the prop cable.

Sorry about not coming through with a picture but I'll try again tonight. Good luck.

Back