What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage

Hello,
I just finished clecoing the aft fuselage together and the plumb bobs fore and aft are 1/4 inch to the left of center when viewed from the front. Both sawhorses are perfectly level using a digital level, so I know it is not the horses. I have an equal number of clecoes on both sides, so I know that is not the problem. I'm thinking that since both plumb bobs are off the same direction, I don't have any twist and when the fuselage is in the air, it won't make any difference. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Ed Wright

Did you check the fuselage to ensure it is level? You can measure that the bottom of the F-706 rib. The tail section is slightly curved on the bottom so I am thinking it is leaning slightly to the left?

It was awhile ago, but I seem to remember shimming mine level and then checking with the plumb bobs. If you have checked your's aready then ignore my idea.

My concern would be building in a slight twist when the tail section is mated to the center section. Just my two cents worth.

Scott

Thanks Scott,
I think your conclusion is correct. Since the fuselage is on level sawhorses, it cannot be them and since the plumb bobs fore and aft are off center the same direction (about 1/4 inch), there can't be any twist to the fuselage.

Another thought...Did you turn the level in both directions on both sawhorses, thus checking for any possible instrument error. It is possible for digital levels to have error, just like the old fashioned ones. Sounds like the two sawhorses are exactly parallel, but not necessarily level.

Back