What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for you empennage builders

JHartline

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to do my trim tab and elevator assembly and I need to get some pro-seal for the foam ribs. I just need enough to do the ribs so I don't want to get the big container yet. Does anyone know if the smaller tubes that Vans and/or Spruce sells have to be used all at once or can you use them over a period of a couple of weeks.

Also, if there's a suitable alternative that has a shorter cure time I would be interested in that as well. Thanks!!

Proseal

I'm not building a 14 empennage but did buy the smaller two part container of sealer from Vans for my 7. Store in the freezer for a year. Cure time can be made a little faster by keeping parts inside. Mixing Proseal is no big deal. I don't know how long the cartridges can be stored once mixed but I suspect not very long.

Last edited:
You could purchase a couple of the 1 oz size kits shown HERE

It is B1/2 so it will cure faster than the B2 (2 hr work time) commonly used for assembling the fuel tanks.

If you have a small gram scale that would allow you to measure out a 10:1 ratio, you wouldn't have to mix up the entire cup.

1 ouncer

Use the 1 ouncer from Vans. It will be plenty for the little foam ribs, but not enough for the trailing edges too (both elevators), so you may need a few. For a while there, I usually kept at least one of these little guys in the frisge at all times for little jobs like this. Keep it cold and it will give you a little more work time.

Pro seal

Thanks guys - yes, I only need the sealant for the ribs since I'm using the 3M tape for the TE. I used it on the rudder and the trailing edge came out very nice. :D

Did trim tab ribs with elevators...

I used two of the 1oz pre-measured kits to do both elevators and the trim tab at the same time. If I had worked faster and more precisely, I could have barely done it with one.

As it was, I had to mix the reserve one to have enough to finish the second elevator.

Back