What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Latch handle

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi, Im just working on the canopy latch assembly (38-05) and the handle is not sitting flush on the outside skin (proud by 60 thou at the trailing edge). I checked my Oshkosh photo library and haven't got a photo of the handle closed with the canopy closed. Is the latch supposed to be flush with the outer skin or slightly recessed?

Thanks

I think that is a common problem. I remade mine to make it fit better . . . then, ended up replacing it again when I installed the Classic Aero side panels. :( They come with a replacement latch mechanism, which is necessary the way the panels fit.

Thanks Gentlemen,

I leave it and do the canopy fitting. I have the side panels on order from Classic Aero and I?ll fine tune the latch then.

I leave it and do the canopy fitting. I have the side panels on order from Classic Aero and I’ll fine tune the latch then.

The system that you'll get wit the Classic Aero side panels is a complete replacement.

Save yourself some hassle and just don't bother with the canopy latch system install until you get the kit from Classic Aero as the old system, including all the linkage, will have to come out.

The Classic Aero latching system is nicer than stock, you're going to love it!

You cannot use the JD latch with the Classic Aero side panels. The Classic Aero latch would be secured on the outside with a small padlock, just like the original Van’s latch. They work the same. Not sure if you can get the Classic Aero latch mechanism ahead of delivery of their side panels, but you could ask them if you plan to fly before you would receive their side panels.

What MED said++

Also, the Classic Aero system adds a bellcrank and additional linkage that makes the mechanism feel smooth and high quality .. it's a lot better than stock .. which feels flimsy and cheap by comparison.

Back