What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview ADAHRS EMS fail

KayS

Well Known Member
Hi All,

turning the 10" skyview System on results sometimes in a red cross at the PFD section. It states:"ADAHRS fail - Internal Error - Multiple Sensors". That happens one out of five times or so.

Lately the same happend with my EMS with the same message on the Screen. but just once.

Getting closer to first flight, so i would like to fix stuff like this.

Any hints what could cause that error are very appreciated.

Cheers
Kay

Kay,

I suggest an email, with screen shots, to Dynon Technical Support. They will save you days of chasing your tail by asking the questions you have not yet thought about.

Their tech support team is very responsive and will hang with you to resolution. Dynon sets the industry standard for after the sale service.

Carl

First step would be to go and remove/reinstall all of the D-sub connectors (especially on the hub and the back of your primary display, since it has happened with both ADAHARS and EMS). Make sure they are clean, no pins are bent, and that when you seat them, they go in evenly and don't get side-loaded. Also, look for loose wiring at the backshell, or pins that aren't locked in the connector.

Last edited:
I had this happen in flight last July, it repeated a few times on my approach into KLAY and I landed with it not working. One of my best landings - quite proud of how I handled that - but that's another story.

First step would be to go and remove/reinstall all of the D-sub connectors (especially on the hub and the back of your primary display, since it has happened with both ADAHARS and EMS). Make sure they are clean, no pins are bent, and that when you seat them, they go in evenly and don't get side-loaded. Also, look for loose wiring at the backshell, or pins that aren't locked in the connector.

This is pretty much what I did after landing. Nothing was obviously loose but one of my SkyView Network connections wasn't completely screwed in, so there might have been a very small amount of play. After verifying and re-seating my connections I didn't have any further issues.

Ok, i will check the D-sub connectors. There is quit some dynon wiring behind the panel.

My supply voltage is not the highest and most stable as my PC680 looses voltage over time quickly. Have to dig into that problem also. Will do a test when the battery is weak.

yesterday i checked with the battery down to 12,4V. my battery is weak (have to try to rejuvanate it) and as soon i turn on something the voltage drops even further.

the dynon did not show any problems but as soon i moved flaps up and down the voltage went to 11.9V and the dynon showed two or three red crosses. When voltage stabilized it was on again. strange thing was that later (with an even lower voltage) it was not repeatable that way. hmmm... head scratching.

So there seems to be something with the supply voltage? as Greg mentioned.

Interesting, getting there...

Kay,

Just replace the battery. If a PC-680 is not holding a charge as you say, it died a long time ago.

?Rejuvenating? a bad battery should be left for lawn tractors, not an airplane.

Another note - the first thing I tell people who report such issues it to check buss/circuit breaker connections tight. One classic example (sorry to say mine) was a GTN-650 that restarted when I keyed the mic. The wire from the breaker to the radio was loose at the breaker terminal.

Carl
I fly with two PC-625s, one replaced every three years as a way to have some assurance on battery reserve.

That definitely adds a little more to the story. A new battery is an easy, if a little spendy, fix.

Sulfation is a killer of AGM batteries.

I bought a plane which sat for a few years, the builder died before completing the 40 hour fly off. Had the same thing happen in flight, landed with zero instruments (it wasn’t as hard as I thought). Checked all the connections, same thing happened the next flight so I got an RMS. Dynon was great - they were familiar with the plane’s history and replaced it free despite being technically just out of warranty on time.

The next one worked for a few hours, then started falling off in flight. They replaced it again, and I installed a backup. Over 120 hours now and no subsequent indication that either has had a problem.

So, the first one I chalk up to years of sitting, and they told me the second was the last of an old batch. Who knows, like light bulbs sometimes electronics fail but my trust level is increasing...

Side note: i will replace the (almost) new PC680. but with something different not an odyssey product. This PC680 is overpriced junk. I am sure many will say their ones did the job for so many years and so on... but my didn't. I used many 12V batteries in my life and never saw such poor quality. Can't believe i bought this **** for an aircraft. First i installed my 12! year old and horrible abused Vespa scooter battery and it showed better performance. End of rant.

Back