What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hey G3xpert can we have CO display?

bobmarkert

Well Known Member
In the final stages of designing my panel. I want to add a Flight Data Systems GD-40 carbon Monoxide detector to my G3X. If my information it true, the G3X will not display the CO concentrations on the screen like other EFIS systems will. Is there a reason that Garmin decided to not offer this feature and is there any hope that they will in a future software upgrade? What is any CO units will display concentration levels on the EFIS screen? Hoping this feature is added to the G3X.

Last edited:
Yes yes yes!!! Add this. Pleeeeeze....

Bob, I had this conversation with Garmin a while back. Their response wasnt encouraging.

Last edited:
Hello Bob,

At this time our system does not have an interface for CO detectors. Adding one has long been on our wishlist of things to add when the opportunity arises. I personally have one in my airplane so I hope we can support it before I fly it! Your feedback is valuable and helps us prioritize the many competing requests that we receive from our vocal group of building and flying customers.

thanks,
- Matt

Matt
Thank you for the immediate reply. I’ve been noodeling this problem and have a thought.

The Flight Data System GD-40 Carbon Monoxide Detector has 4 outputs. There is an audio voice warning, EFIS, and two LEDs. The LEDs monitor self test and provide warnings.

Is it possible to take the voltage output from the LED signal into a discrete input of the G3X that I could then label? If there are two discrete inputs available, I could use both LED voltages and name the displays as appropriate. I would then rely on the audio voice announcement to determine the level of Carbon Monoxide concentration and use the LED/EFIS display to monitor self test etc.

Hoping a future G3X update will then let me take full advantage of the GD-40 system and read actual CO ppm on the screen
Thank you

Last edited:
Is it possible to take the voltage output from the LED signal into a discrete input of the G3X that I could then label? If there are two discrete inputs available, I could use both LED voltages and name the displays as appropriate. I would then rely on the audio voice announcement to determine the level of Carbob monoxide concentration and use the LED/EFIS display to monitor self test etc.

Bob,

I am not totally conversant with the GD-40 unit, but I don't think I would recommend connecting its LED outputs to the GSU 73 discrete input pins. However, you are definitely on the right track. What I would do instead is connect the GD-40 "RLY" terminal to one of the discrete input pins on your GSU 73 as shown in Figure E-1.3 in the G3X Installation Manual. Then you can configure the discrete input for active-low operation and give it whatever text label and alert color you wish, as described in section 12.3.2 of the manual. I have a different CO detector in my airplane project but mine is wired to a discrete input in a similar way.

thanks,
- Matt

Wow,
Are you a real person or a computer..... you never sleep?! Thanks for refining my idea. I'm working with Stein so I'm sure we can work out an acceptable solution while you lobby for the full interface with CO detectors. I'm glad I went with the G3X. The support is awesome.
Thanks

These Garmin guys really are amazing. Thanks for the clarification...I think I'm going to order the GD-40 now that my G3X is mostly wired up and done. Better to put it in now, have it give just a generic CO HIGH warning now and hope that in the future Garmin gives it the full monty. Unless there is a better option, Matt which one are you using?

Last edited:
Are you a real person or a computer..... you never sleep?!

I am a sophisticated biological computer that runs on coffee and avgas. :)

I think I'm going to order the GD-40 now that my G3X is mostly wired up and done. [...] Unless there is a better option, Matt which one are you using?

I actually have the CO Guardian in my airplane, but the wiring for the discrete input on the GSU 73 is the same. Most any device that has a switched output for a lamp or relay (especially if it's the simple type that pulls to ground when active) can be connected in this way. And of course with the Lancairs and Glasairs they often hook up their microswitches for gear up/down indications in the same way.

- Matt

Just an observation before you buy -- If you're running a Vertical Power electrical system, it should support annuciation of the CO Guardian line of monitors (at least the VP-200 does, so I assume the VP-X does as well).

The VP-200 does, Todd, but the VP-X uses the EFIS for the display. So what Matt said is valid for VP-X customers with an EFIS that supports discrete input alerts.

FLIGHT DATA SYSTEMS GD-40 on G3X Touch?

Any updates on the G3X software for this.
Does anyone know if Garmin's G3X touch now supports CO2 detectors such as the FLIGHT DATA SYSTEMS GD-40? And what is displayed? eg levels and alarm when level's exceeded.
The Flight Systems web page shows the G3X in a screen shot but I can't find much information on what is displayed on the G3X when the detector is connected via its RS232 port.
The GD-40's voice prompting, and LED indicator would work independently which is good.

Just for clarity's sake, are you asking about CO2 (carbon dioxide)?
Or CO (carbon monoxide)?

Does anyone know if Garmin's G3X touch now supports CO2 detectors such as the FLIGHT DATA SYSTEMS GD-40? And what is displayed? eg levels and alarm when level's exceeded.
The Flight Systems web page shows the G3X in a screen shot but I can't find much information on what is displayed on the G3X when the detector is connected via its RS232 port.
The GD-40's voice prompting, and LED indicator would work independently which is good.

Yes, they do- I have the CO Guardian and the g3x displays it, also asks me to check SpO2 levels periodically and my only complaint is that the software developers have no provision to log the co ppm reading in the data logs

CO display on the G3X

For clarification, the Flight Data Systems GD-40 CO detector will display CO concentration on the Garmin G3X (as well as AFS, GRT and MGL EFIS units).

Here is a screen shot from Stein Air's shop:

http://www.fdatasystems.com/gd-40-co-detector/

Chuck Newman
Flight Data Systems
VAF Advertiser

Last edited:
Yes, they do- I have the CO Guardian and the g3x displays it, also asks me to check SpO2 levels periodically and my only complaint is that the software developers have no provision to log the co ppm reading in the data logs

I also have the CO Guardian, but I'm never been sure if it actually works - can you describe how you configured it? Mine has always reported "0." Never been asked about Sp02 either.

Hello Rocky005,

Carbon Monoxide detector (and Pulse Oximeter) support was added to both G3X and G3X Touch in March of 2015.

If you search the pilot guide for "Carbon Monoxide", you can read the details of how this information is displayed.

Thanks,
Steve

Wiring Question

Just received the GD-40 detector. It has the following pins:
GND, TX, RX, AUD, BUT, LED1, LED2, RLY, GND, U+

Is there a diagram of the pin outs that are recommended for the G3X (GDU370)?
I have the following equipment that may be relevant:
-Dual screen (non-touch) G3X
-VPX Sport
-GMA245
-GSU25
-GTN650
The documentation seems to imply the button and light are recommended for testing. I am trying to figure out what is RS232 protocall, & how I need to wire the unit so it best integrates into my system.
Thanks,
John

I have the GD40 in my -10. Works fine with G3X. The RX and TX and wired to the GDU460 RS-232 inputs/outputs.

Thank you for the schematic! That is what I was looking for.

I noticed you don't have the LED warning lights hooked up. Is the Garmin indicator box enough to get your attention? (I do realize you should be getting an audio alert as well.)

I am debating on weather to drill a hole for the light - or keep it "clean".
I think I understand the button is necessary though.

Thanks for your information and input!
John

N787TJ
RV-6A
First Flight 1/7/2020 (8.2 hours now)

I have my CO detector (different brand) is connected to one of the discrete inputs on the engine analyzer. The discrete can be configured to be a "CO detector" in settings. I get an alert on the G3X screen, as well as an in-your-face warning light on the panel that's hard to ignore. When the light is lit, I can check the G3X screen for reason.

I noticed you don't have the LED warning lights hooked up. Is the Garmin indicator box enough to get your attention? (I do realize you should be getting an audio alert as well.)

John

N787TJ
RV-6A

No problem - that?s why this forum is awesome. I don?t have the indicator lights. The panel indicator is enough for me. I?m bummed that I put door open LEDs on my panel. Complete waste. I have a Door Open warning on my screen which is good enough.

I?m using the guardian avionics co2 detector with my G3x touch. Is it wise to install a test/reset button or can you do that same function through the G3x display? Maybe it?s not necessary at all?

John

N787TJ
RV-6A

I have the same unit in my -10, CO displays on one of the G3X screens in PPM and I get an alert if needed.
I did install the LED and test button. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Back