What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

See PMag data on a Glass Panel. A new PMag Controller

We have listened to many pilots who loved the idea of our Engine Bridge EI Controller except they do not own an iPad and prefer using an iPhone or even Android devices.

Now any device whether an iOS or Android, Laptops & PCs can connect to this unit and change all settings for one or two PMags.

Built-in Analog Outputs to connect up to 8 Channels to a Glass Panel/EMS module that is capable of accepting custom 0-5V Analog Inputs. Most Glass Panels with EMS modules are currently capable of such integration.

There are 4 Channels per PMag. These are the Advance Angle, Internal PMag reported Temperature & both Dwell times.

Even for those without a Glass Panel, the new WI-FI interface is easy to use, allows monitoring and adjusting PMags settings, includes PreSets for fast global configuration changes for certain missions such as Racing or other specific situations.

Few early-bird customers already got it and configured Dynon SV to report all Channels. Confirmed to work with both General Purpose (with 10K Pull-up) inputs or Enhanced Analog Inputs (No Pull-up) on the Dynon SV set.

More photos and the User's & Installation guide now online. Special Launch pricing for July only. https://www.enginebridge.com/product/eiwifi/

W0.png
W3.png
W1.png

Which efis does this currently work on?

It will work on any EFIS system that can support 0-5v inputs, and I know Garmin and Dynon sure do. I have been testing out this new box for Engine Bridge over the past few weeks with my Dynon Skyview system and it has been flawless. I had been running the Bluetooth version from Engine Bridge for awhile now and once you realize the advantages of tweaking the P-Mag timing curve and seeing real time data it quickly became apparent having real time data on the EFIS would be so cool and Engine Bridge pulled it off. My last few weeks of flying consist of flying my FP RV-4 at 20,000ft out to Catto then running the pylons at Reno with the backseat full of nitrous bottles. Without the Engine Bridge P-Mag controller non of this would have been possible. Here are two pictures taken at the same time showing my Iphone and my Skyview. I simplified my Skyview EMS screen for the picture showing just the 4 parameters from the Right P-mag (Temperature, Coil 1 dwell, Coil 2 dwell and timing advance. Obviously Dynon lets you make the "gauge" any way you would like, I normally just run the numerical value.

rljjbc.jpg

6h2ohk.jpg

Thank you. Could you explain to us non-pylon-racers why this is beneficial? For example, can I use it to go faster or burn less fuel? How does that work? What does it look like on the g3x and how would I configure that?

I?m not trying to be difficult, just trying to learn :)

The point I was trying to make is electronic ignition is not hands off. PMAG did there best to make a default advance cure but it’s the same mag for a 320,360,390 not to mention ram air, compression ratio, exhaust, rpm and mission. My personal option is PMAG’s are not nessasary a bolt on and go ignition. Being able to use the Ignition Bridge box and make changes instantly and see instant change in CHT allows you to tune your engine for correct timing. I was Running 40deg at 20,000 ft to get 200mph and 33nm/gal then ran 20deg with nitrous to get 240mph and 10nm/gal. Not everyone needs to go change there PMAG curve but everyone should understand your PMAG has the potential to run nearly double what your engine data plate shows. The Engine Bridge box finally gives us a super clean and economical way of monitoring our PMAGS. In regards to Garmin, you can add a 0-5v input but I’m a Dynon guy so I cant help with how the configureration would look.

Thank you Shawn for your feedback. You work and tests done on the Dynon is highly appreciated and will be of great help to those with Dynon.

Yes, any EFIS that is capable of showing custom Sensor (Analog Input 0-5V) either directly or using an EMS module can show the PMag data via this controller. The controller is just a "sensor" to the EFIS with Linear range.

Dynon/G3X/MGL and probably all other EMS modules allow custom configuration of sensors such as Pressure Sensors, or Position Sensors using Potentiometer. The User Guide for each EMS or EFIS should explain clearly how to define the sensor input. Each EFIS/EMS will be different but the basic ground layer of adding sensor should be very similar. Considering it's a Linear range.

Some just take the Min value to display (0V in the wire), and the Max value (5V) and interpolate the linear values in between the range.

Here are answers to a few questions received via email that could also be of interest to other viewers.

- Current draw: Its 160mA when nothing is connected to the WI-FI network. Will jump to 190mA if you are using the WI-FI network. It's safe to budget 250mA for it. The unit does not need its own Circuit Breaker. It can share it with other non-inductive loads, so no motors or high load devices. 1A in-line fuse can be also be used.

- Wi-Fi Network: This controller creates its own Wi-FI network, but it does not have to be connected all the time, only when changing Settings or viewing running parameters. So those with EFIS or ADS-B IN Wi-Fi network can switch to this network when needed and be disconnected most of the time. On the other hand, most probably using an iPad to connect to the ADS-B IN for ForeFlight, a phone can be used rather for the EI Controller. Using the Analog Outputs to see the data on a Glass Panel eliminates the need to connect to the Wi-Fi to view, though changing settings can only be done via the Wi-Fi interface. Multiple devices can connect to the Controller Wi-Fi network as the same time.

- Analog Outputs: There will be 4 unused Analog Outputs for those with Single PMag Installations, the Controller is capable of firmware update via Wi-Fi. We are considering using one of these unused Outputs to show RPM as well, and maybe offer that change to dual PMag installations by offering a setup screen on Wi-Fi to decide which output is for what function. This way those who don't care about seeing dwell time output can decide to output the RPM for example. Do email us to see the general interest in this feature.

- Power-up Sequence: There is a Power-up sequence explained in the User?s Guide. Wi-Fi will be active and ready for use once this sequence is complete. This is 10 seconds if two PMags are found, or 1 minute if only one PMag found (or none). The Controller tries for one minute to communicate with both PMag channels to see which one is present. If one or both PMags are not found such as not-powered, Wi-Fi shows N/A on that PMag side. This has come up as some pilots use a separate switch to power the PMags only when they want to start the engine while their Master Switch runs everything else first. If this is the case, power the Controller from the same switch or restart the Controller after powering up the PMags.
In a standard setup where the PMags are connected to the Master Switch, this should be fine, even if the Controller is connected to Avionics Switch, it will be powered after the PMags are powered.

Thanks for everyone?s interest and questions.

Looks like an interesting replacement to the EiCommander. It would be nice to have a digital output with functionality similar to EiCommander's advance divergence warning. Is it in the plans by any chance?

Looks like an interesting replacement to the EiCommander. It would be nice to have a digital output with functionality similar to EiCommander's advance divergence warning. Is it in the plans by any chance?

Thank you for the question. Yes, I just replied to the same exact question on another threads. Here is the reply:

"The iPad edition App does the timing mismatch feature with a LED output. Though its not included in the Wi-Fi edition. We are planning to release a tiny separate board (1" x 1.5") that is dedicated to this feature only. Its planned to be low cost (around $40). It was decided to have it as a separate board so it can be installed even without controller. It does offer a LED output and also a single Analog output to show the "divergence" read out on Glass panel. Connection to this small board will be just the two TACHs".

It is already included in the iPad only model, but as we know there are some pilots who do not want to change the default PMag Settings (not sure why! but that's a debate for another thread :) ) so a small low-cost board just for the "divergence" made sense to us and was omitted from the Wi-Fi interface model. That board still have an Analog Output so it can be seen on the Glass. And if the EFIS offers a "warning message" based on a value from a sensor, then even the EFIS will show a warning if the divergence reached the limit you set.

Here are some photos of Analog Output on Dynon HDX 1100 Panel. This customer took the photos after adding the Adv Angle only.

He also sent the Dynon Sensor file he used. Here is a link to a ZIP file containing two different Sensor files, one for the Adv Angles only, the other for all 4 Channels. Those with Dynon can use this file as basis for their own file.

Dynon Sensor Def

Dynon_4.png

Dynon_2.png

Dynon_1.png

Firmware 1.4 is now available.

Download the firmware file along with the Update procedure PDF here:
PMag Controller HW V1.4

If the PMags & Controller connected to the same power switch (such as Master Switch) and are normally powered at the same time then no need to update to this version.

Changes:
A note from a customer that his dual PMags are not normally powered with the Master Switch, while the controller is. This is so he can work on the airplane or avionics without the need to have power on the Mags.

The current version of the Controller searches for one min for one or two PMags then it enables Wi-Fi pages. If dual PMags are available, this takes a few seconds after power up. If one PMag found, or none are found, it tires for one min before enabling Wi-Fi. This means for this customer, he needs to restart the Controller when he powers the PMags to start the engine.

This update lets the Controller keep searching for PMags after the initial one minute timeout. It is recommended to power the PMags & Controller at the same time, but for those who have their PMags on a separate switch and usually power the Controller first then this update solves the need to Restart the Controller after powering up the PMag.

EngineBridge WiFi Pmag Controller

I recently had the opportunity to upgrade my EngineBridge PMag Controller from the older Bluetooth model to the newer WiFi model.

SelV8yim.jpg

The new updated Controller requires the connection of the Tx and Rx control leads from each PMag plus 12 volt power and ground wires into a 15 pin D-sub connector (standard density male pins).

In addition, I added two 22 awg shielded wires to pick up the 5 volt variable analog output from the EngineBridge Controller to my Garmin GEA 24 EIS. This would allow me to display the Timing Advance Angle of the PMags while running. These shielded wires were connected to pins 19 (GP1 / POS 1) and 20 (GP1 LO / GND) and pins 22 (GP2/ POS 2) and 23 (GP2 LO / GND) using standard density female sockets. The pins I chose are general purpose inputs (GP1 and GP2 on Connector 244) to the EIS that can be programed to display on the engine information page.

FGOBxrIm.jpg

There are a total of seven general purpose inputs that can be used for displaying additional outputs from the Controller (Coil Dwell Time and Reported Temperature). The pin assignments for these inputs are shown on page 26-37 of the ?G3X Touch Installation Manual, Rev AM?.

I mounted the small Controller box behind the panel on the right side with Velcro on the flat triangular sub-panel brace.

After all the connections were made, I powered the panel and chose ?SETTINGS? on the iPad and selected the WiFi output from the Controller. After entering the supplied password and the IP Address in the browser, the main screen appeared on the iPad.

GKN8qZ7l.jpg

I checked each of the optional screens and confirmed that the stored ignition settings in the left and right PMags were correct.

8TkLk7Tl.jpg

To program the EFIS to display the Timing Advance Angles, I followed the instructions in the ?G3X Touch Installation Manual, Rev AM? on page 35-181. You need to open the GDU 46X, PFD in Configuration Mode by holding the Menu button during power on and select the Engine page. Scroll down to the General-Purpose Inputs and enter the name associated with the input. (I used ?LEFT ADV DEG? and ?RIGHT ADV DEG?.) Enter the recommended minimum and maximum timing values (18.0 and 48.0) and enter the calibration curves for each of the inputs. You can add color coding and tick marks if desired. Save and exit the Configuration Mode.

After re-booting you will see two bar graphs on the engine page that show the current real-time degrees of advance for each of the PMags. You should expect them to match each other at all times unless something has gone awry.

otaHwL7h.png

I was very pleased with the results. The WiFi connection seemed to be faster and more stable than the previous Bluetooth connection. The information displayed on the iPad appeared somewhat small but the graphics were obviously designed to be displayed on an iPhone instead of the larger iPad. You can enlarge the graphics on the iPad if you wish by using two fingers.

The entire installation could be accomplished in a single day. If starting from scratch you would need about 18 feet of two conductor 22 awg shielded wire for the PMag connections and about 14 feet of single conductor 22 awg wire for each pair of the analog outputs you wish to connect to your EFIS. Use un-shielded 22 awg wire for power and ground wires as needed to power the Controller.

Re-setting and sending new values to the PMags is simple and easily done using the Controller screen that is nearly identical with the one from the older Bluetooth model.

The EngineBridge people have done a very nice job in improving upon an already excellent control system for PMag ignitions. A special thanks to Nidal Robb who answered a multitude of emails that kept me on the right track.

New E-Mag Install

Gents,

I just finished a twin E-Mag install after years of reading about electronic ignitions. Based on the research, I wanted to control the timing and am extremely satisfied with Nidal's Engine Bridge! Nidal was exceptionally responsive to my questions throughout the installation.

Anyone who is interested in this set-up should read the Nigel Speedy Kitplane article titled: The Effects of Ignition Advance on Cylinder Head Temperature, Speed and Efficiency. All of this has been thoroughly discussed in various threads before! After (7) test flights I gained a repeatable 2-3 KTAS (Best Power) 8k DA with ignition advanced from placard 20 BTDC to 23.8.

Back