What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Possible AD for certain NAVWORX ADS-B Units

Any new peeps out of NavWorx?

Just checking to see if anyone has heard from NavWorx in any form....
I have started another thread to help each other out with tech issue....
I have some help lined up for me and offer my environment (SL-70, 430W, MX-20, AFS3400EE, and GRT Mini-AP) for testing your -x12 and -x13 units.

I believe everything is on hold until the FAA makes decision on proposed AD.

That should happen within 60 days.

I cant imagine the FAA's action in anyway limit Navworx from replying to CS emails, answering the phone or at least posting an update for their customers.

The FAA may have provided the bullets, but the damage appears self inflicted. Had they at least posted status updates to make it appear they are fighting the good fight, most of the customer base would have hung in there and supported them with more emails and phone calls to the FAA.
It appears Bill has moved on, maybe we should also.

Tim Andres

I cant imagine the FAA's action in anyway limit Navworx from replying to CS emails, answering the phone or at least posting an update for their customers.

The FAA may have provided the bullets, but the damage appears self inflicted. Had they at least posted status updates to make it appear they are fighting the good fight, most of the customer base would have hung in there and supported them with more emails and phone calls to the FAA.
It appears Bill has moved on, maybe we should also.

Tim Andres

I tend to agree with you Tim.

The owner has lost interest in the company he founded.

Least he could do is say its on hold pending the proposed AD.

But not a word, its like he doesn't exist.

He owes money to guys who have received nothing, may be in a hole keeping his head down.

Reminds me of the BD5 days. Really wanted to build one of those but decided to wait. Lot of people lost big $ on that . Myself, I wound up with a 600 EXP but it still works great.

Last edited:
Well .. I started the replacement process today. Sent my 330 in for the ES upgrade, ordered the Garmin GPS-20A for a WAAS position source and ordered a Pathfinder Remote for ADS-B in.

I've mapped out all the wires from the NavWorx that I can reuse. Should be about a weekend project. Sadly I'm going to lose ARINC into the 430's for traffic other than TIS-A which will still come from the 330ES. I should have everything in place and ready when the 330ES get's back in 10 days or so.

It would certainly be a nice gesture if NavWorx customers got a waiver on the ADS-B prior-use for the $500 it would help take some of the sting out of the process.

I'll let you know how it works.

Regards,

David
RV6-A N142DS
n142ds.com

NAVWORX Update, Words From Bill Today

I had asked Bill several times to post an update on the Forum, but for reasons only he knows he has not done so, but he did respond to my request for an update several hours ago today and agreed that I could post it here on the forum;
-------------------------
Bill Moffitt
2:51 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
Cecil,

We're waiting on the FAA to finalize the AD. Once this happens we will move forward with sales and support of our products.

Best Regards,

Bill Moffitt
NavWorx Incorporated

This should be a good datapoint for anyone doing business with Navworx in the future. I gave him money very early when he first stated selling the EXP and I got a good price. However, he promised delivery of the equipment in a few days for almost 9 months straight. He rarely responded to my inquiries and I learned back then that I will never send another dime to he man. I paid for dual radios in my EXP that he said would be activated last fall. That hasn't happened.

Caveat emptor for anyone who hasn't already learned their lesson. He isn't going to change, so don't expect him to.

Don

Last edited:
I had asked Bill several times to post an update on the Forum, but for reasons only he knows he has not done so, but he did respond to my request for an update several hours ago today and agreed that I could post it here on the forum;
-------------------------
Bill Moffitt
2:51 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
Cecil,

We're waiting on the FAA to finalize the AD. Once this happens we will move forward with sales and support of our products.

Best Regards,

Bill Moffitt
NavWorx Incorporated

I've been searching for information on Navworx and Bill Moffitt.

Found this 16 minute Youtube interview regarding ADS-B at the 2015 AEA Convention. It provides some insight into the man, his background and his view of the industry relative to the FAA. It does not explain why he left his customers in a lurch.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...d08bfa2e336ebd81e29e7f8183640844&action=click

Last edited:
Compitition

I have a NavWorx ADS600 EXP paired with Trig TT-22. It works great. But I have been researching replacement strategies in case the AD outcome is bad.

So far I either need to spend in excess of $5k for a box to replace the EXP features, or about $3k to install a kludge panel cluster to get the same capabilities. And interfacing info is scarce, so not sure I will be able to install it as I did the EXP. Seems to me the EXP box is a pretty clever, clean, and versatile solution to ADS-B that interfaces with a wide range of existing equipment. I find no direct competition, certainly not near the price. I hope they find a way to continue.

I have a NavWorx ADS600 EXP paired with Trig TT-22. It works great. But I have been researching replacement strategies in case the AD outcome is bad.

So far I either need to spend in excess of $5k for a box to replace the EXP features, or about $3k to install a kludge panel cluster to get the same capabilities. And interfacing info is scarce, so not sure I will be able to install it as I did the EXP. Seems to me the EXP box is a pretty clever, clean, and versatile solution to ADS-B that interfaces with a wide range of existing equipment. I find no direct competition, certainly not near the price. I hope they find a way to continue.

That's crazy. Buy the new $500 GPS from GRT; an airspeed switch from Trig ($100, I think) and you're all set for ADSB-out. Keep the NavWorx with the transmitter turned off for ADSB-in, or buy one of the $500-$800 ADSB-in solutions.

I'm with Bob on this one. You already have a 1090ES transponder to do the ADSB-out. All you need for OUT compliance is a position source. The recently-announced GRT unit sounds like a good choice. For the IN solution there are so many alternatives that it almost boggles the mind, and most of them are in the less-than-$1000 price bracket. At the cheap end you could be IN and OUT compliant for under $1000.

As for the airspeed switch, that, according to correspondence I've received from Trig, is NOT required unless one is using an older Air Data Computer. GPS groundspeed data is sufficient for air/ground detection, according to Trig. Is there hard data to suggest otherwise? (Note the STC data for the Trig TT31 mandates a second air/ground determination method, but that's a limitation of that particular STC and is not germane to the TT22.)

As for the airspeed switch, that, according to correspondence I've received from Trig, is NOT required unless one is using an older Air Data Computer. GPS groundspeed data is sufficient for air/ground detection, according to Trig. Is there hard data to suggest otherwise? (Note the STC data for the Trig TT31 mandates a second air/ground determination method, but that's a limitation of that particular STC and is not germane to the TT22.)

Peregrine holds the STc for the TT22 and TT31. The STC for both requires the airspeed switch.

Just saw this on the Navworx web site:

To All Our Valued Customers,

I want to thank everyone for their continued patience pertaining to this ongoing situation. Over the course of the past several months NavWorx has weathered extreme difficulties in tirelessly defending and resolving the ongoing actions against us. As a direct result of your comments on the proposed AD action, enlisted help from industry professionals to include the (AEA) Aircraft Electronics Association, Dallas Avionics, Inc., and our Dealers, I am extremely pleased to announce that we are moving forward with our plans to resolve the current issue for our products.

Very soon we will release our program details that will outline the entire resolution ranging from simple software updates to system exchanges. In addition, we will be re-opening all our lines of communication to ensure the seamless customer service throughout this process minimizing any frustrations you may encounter.

I, along with the entire staff of NavWorx, are committed to providing the industry with the most ?Affordable? ADS-B systems for many years to come.

In addition, NavWorx, along with our distributor (Dallas Avionics, Inc.) look forward to seeing all of you in 2017.

Again, I sincerely thank all of you for your continued patience.

Bill Moffitt
President,
NavWorx Incorporated

Bob Cowan, RV7A

Just saw this on the Navworx web site:

I want to thank everyone for their continued patience pertaining to this ongoing situation. Over the course of the past several months NavWorx has weathered extreme difficulties in tirelessly defending and resolving the ongoing actions against us. As a direct result of your comments on the proposed AD action, enlisted help from industry professionals to include the (AEA) Aircraft Electronics Association, Dallas Avionics, Inc., and our Dealers, I am extremely pleased to announce that we are moving forward with our plans to resolve the current issue for our products.

Very soon we will release our program details that will outline the entire resolution ranging from simple software updates to system exchanges. In addition, we will be re-opening all our lines of communication to ensure the seamless customer service throughout this process minimizing any frustrations you may encounter.

I, along with the entire staff of NavWorx, are committed to providing the industry with the most ?Affordable? ADS-B systems for many years to come.

In addition, NavWorx, along with our distributor (Dallas Avionics, Inc.) look forward to seeing all of you in 2017.

Bill Moffitt
President,
NavWorx Incorporated

Bob Cowan, RV7A

Excellent!!!

There is a light in the tunnel and it's not the train coming.

Thanks for the update, Bill Moffett.

That's great news! Now, let's hope it doesn't take too long to get back to "business as normal".

For money invested, time spent... (install)... and continued product support from Navworx, this is truly a breath of very fresh air!

Last edited:
Resubmit communications?

When Bill reestablishes communications normally - will we need to resubmit everything we were working on? I was working on a technical issue with him when the lights went out....

Hopefully Bill will answer up on this one!

Last edited:
still doubtful

I sincerely hope the best for Bill and Navworx. But I personally am going to continue my install of the Appareo xponder. I wish only the best of luck to all the Navworx customers, but as soon as my 600B-0012 is repaired/made legal I will be selling it. Never been out of the box.

Last edited:
Update

By special request.....

My unit has shipped to NavWorx with an RMA number provided by Bill.
I have not been notified of its arrival there - according to UPS with the tracking number, it is supposed to be delivered today.

I requested an arrival notification from NavWorx - I will let you know if they respond regarding the arrival of my unit.

By special request.....

My unit has shipped to NavWorx with an RMA number provided by Bill.
I have not been notified of its arrival there - according to UPS with the tracking number, it is supposed to be delivered today.

I requested an arrival notification from NavWorx - I will let you know if they respond regarding the arrival of my unit.

Good Luck!

Mine was sent back the week the AD before the AD came out. I had to call multiple times until I could talk to a real person and get an answer. Fortunately, I got the unit back before everything escalated. Unfortunately, they didn't resolve the issue.

Bob,

What was your issue? We have another sticky thread that we're using to help each other out.

I was able to verify my issue by installing my box in a known good environment.

Maybe someone in that thread can help!

I'm hoping mine didn't go in to a black hole and actually comes back as fixed....I got a UPS notification that Bill signed for my unit today - fingers crossed.

Progress update!

I just got a note from Bill that my unit arrived there and it usually takes a week to turn around repairs.

Stuff is happening there - I hope to get my unit back shortly so I can get on with my testing - maybe even get a rebate!

Is NavWorx gone?

I'm hoping this is just a glitch and not a sign of things to come but can others get to NavWorx's web site? The registry info for 'navworx.com' was recently updated and doesn't expire until Oct 2017. So, that seems in order.

Google's DNS servers can't seem to find 'www.navworx.com' nor 'navworx.com'.

Code:
> nslookup navworx.com 8.8.8.8
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find navworx.com: No answer

> nslookup www.navworx.com 8.8.8.8

** server can't find www.navworx.com: NXDOMAIN

> nslookup 8.8.8.8 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa    name = google-public-dns-a.google.com.

Authoritative answers can be found from:

dnelson@murdock:~>

I was looking at it yesterday to see if there was an update on the AD or new stuff for sale since the recent tradeshow that Bill attended....

No new stuff yesterday....

No access at all today!

Keeping my fingers crossed as my unit is in for repair!

I just checked their site yesterday after reading an AvWeb article & it was still up.
Let's hope they are in the middle of updating their site to go back in business.

The is an NavWorx IPad ap update (vs 1.5) that showed up yesterday on the ap store. That may be a third party though. I'm not going to allow an update until I know more.
Tim Andres

The is an NavWorx IPad ap update (vs 1.5) that showed up yesterday on the ap store. That may be a third party though. I'm not going to allow an update until I know more.
Tim Andres

Maybe Neil can chime in as he's the mobile config app developer.

Hmmm...... With an update on the record yesterday, I wonder if he's changing his hosting provider? We should probably give Bill a couple days before people start yelling the sky is falling.

bob

Domain Name: NAVWORX.COM
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 2
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://networksolutions.com
Name Server: NS1.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM
Name Server: NS2.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM
Name Server: NS3.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM
Name Server: NS4.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM
Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Updated Date: 17-mar-2017
Creation Date: 24-oct-2007
Expiration Date: 24-oct-2017

> server NS1.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM
Default Server: NS1.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM
Addresses: 2a01:111:f406:1804::59

> navworx.com
Server: NS1.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM
Addresses: 2a01:111:f406:1804::59

*** NS1.BDM.MICROSOFTONLINE.COM can't find navworx.com: No response from server
>

I'm more optimistic & hoping that he's back in business & is republishing his site to begin taking new orders under the revised rules.

FWIW, I checked the FAA site for a press release, but now existed as related to Navworx.

Latest NAVWORX Mssg to Customers

Web site is back up and Bill posted this message

NavWorx Customers & Dealers

Bill Moffitt
President,
NavWorx Incorporated

Back